Jets fans hoping for a quarterback change will have to keep on hoping. Today, coach Todd Bowles told reporters that Ryan Fitzpatrick will continue to start under center. When asked about the possibility of starting Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg, Bowles declined to give that any sort of timetable.
“There’ll be a time and place for those guys to play. It just won’t be next week,” Bowles said (Twitter link via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY).
On Sunday, the Jets suffered a heartbreaking loss to the Patriots. Many things went wrong for the Jets late in that contest, but Fitzpatrick turned in a solid effort overall. Gang Green is obviously out of the playoff hunt, but the Jets are apparently still focused on being competitive this season. Many have called for the Jets to turn things over to Petty, but veterans are said to be adamant about Fitzpatrick remaining in the starting role. Bowles, according to one report, was worried that the team would quit on him if he installed the 26-year-old as the starter. Fitzpatrick has not looked as sharp as he did last year, but he is still said to be a much better option than Petty. Reportedly, Petty’s lack of polish makes Fitzpatrick look like the second coming of Johnny Unitas in practice.
The Jets could theoretically keep Fitzpatrick around next year, but it’s much more likely that they’ll instead cut him loose and absorb a $5MM cap charge. It’s understandable that the Jets do not want to quit on the 2016 season, but they’re potentially hurting themselves in 2017 and beyond by not evaluating their younger options.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.