The Giants have formally requested an interview with Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The interview is expected to take place this weekend in Philadelphia.
As of Wednesday morning, the Giants had not submitted a request to speak with Schwartz, leading to speculation that the team had cooled on him. Apparently, that is not the case. It was reported last month that Schwartz might be the frontrunner for the job and that may still be the case now that the Giants have finally put the wheels in motion.
Here is the rundown of where things stand in the Giants’ head coaching search:
- Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator (Patriots): To be interviewed on 1/5
- Matt Patricia, defensive coordinator (Patriots): Requested interview
- Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator (Eagles): To be interviewed
- Pat Shurmur, offensive coordinator (Vikings): To be interviewed on 1/6
- Steve Spagnuolo, interim head coach/DC (Giants): To be interviewed on 1/3
- Eric Studesville, former assistant head coach/RBs (Broncos): To be interviewed on 1/5
- Steve Wilks, defensive coordinator (Panthers): Requested interview
Schwartz, meanwhile, is also up for the Cardinals’ vacancy.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.