NFLPA Recommends Canceling Preseason

We heard yesterday that the NFLPA might be pushing to cancel the preseason, and indeed, the union’s board of player reps have unanimously recommended that no preseason games be played, as Dan Graziano of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). That decision was reached during last night’s call between the player reps and NFLPA medical director Thom Mayer, details of which can be found here.

As Albert Breer of SI.com notes, the preseason schedule was also discussed during today’s phone call, which was open to all players (Twitter link). The union has floated the following summer schedule, per Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network (via Twitter):

  • Three days of medical and equipment checks;
  • 21 days of strength and conditioning;
  • 10 days of unpadded practice; and
  • 14 days of practice, with a maximum of ten practice sessions, eight of which would be padded.

From there, the schedule would shift immediately to Week 1 of the regular season. And as Pelissero notes in a separate tweet, players would be divided into smaller groups during the strength and conditioning and unpadded practice portions of the schedule, which would buy an extra month of time before everyone would have to come together for the padded sessions.

Of course, the NFL has full authority over whether to schedule preseason games or not, and Graziano notes that it’s unclear whether the league will consider the union’s recommendation. As Breer points out in a separate tweet, teams would lose out on gate revenue — if fans are allowed in stands, which is a dubious proposition — and local TV money. Plus, the NFL Network usually sees its highest ratings in August, so cancelling the preseason slate altogether would be a tough pill to swallow.

View Comments (30)
newest oldest

30 comments on “NFLPA Recommends Canceling Preseason

  1. Al Hirschen

    Dr. Fauci stated that the United States is losing the war on coronavirus. The numbers are trending in the wrong direction. The right way the NFL season should be put on pause

    • M Haworth

      Fauci is always negative and often times way off. Not to mention he flip flops daily. Sure there is risk but what’s a pause going to accomplish?

        • twentyforty

          Why? Because hospitalization are flat or down as are deaths? You do the media scare tactics well. And guess what….you’re not going to die either….

          • Stillers12
            Stillers12

            Hahaha. Not sure where you are getting you’re info, but right now it’s worse than ever. Amazing. You can’t shame me, brother. I know your ilk.

      • Rondon

        “Always negative”? You act like he’s working for the National Enquirer!? He’s a far more educated man than most of us and is responding to what his research indicates as well as the numbers and the thoughtless behavior of his boss and more than a few members of the general public.

      • Blackjackscout

        You’re right about Fauci being a flip-flopper. Our economy needs football back and we need football back. I’m even for putting the fans in the stands in segregated groups for those who know each other, like season ticket holders and in segregated individual and twin seats for those who come down by themself or with one other person

  2. Al Hirschen

    NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — New York state reported 918 new coronavirus infections and nine deaths from COVID-19, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday.

    The 918 figure recorded Thursday represents the first time more than 900 new infections have been reported since June 12, when 916 people tested positive for the virus statewide.

      • Stillers12
        Stillers12

        Keep ya head in the sand and keep living life with no respect for others.

        • markdavisbarber

          Hey Karen12
          Stop passing judgment on anyone that does not agree with your social stance.

          • Stillers12
            Stillers12

            There is nothing “to agree to”. Science and data don’t lie. I get it though, somewhere along the way you started to think you were better and more important than others. Keep on keepin’ on. Haha

        • M Haworth

          This is an idiotic response. Where did I say anything remotely close to being in reference to what you posted?

          Too many think saying it’s pushing fear equates to not caring about others. I never said one thing about masks, washing hands, or distancing in society.

          Get a grip and open your ears

            • markdavisbarber

              From what I have read with your replies…
              You have lived in Pittsburgh your entire life and never traveled through a tunnel.

            • M Haworth

              Good lord…that’s all you can come up with? Seriously, educate yourself and grow up child.

  3. metsie1

    The virus isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. We are going to have to find the safest way possible and go about our business. Older and people with conditions are going to have to take extra precautions. There is a chance that no vaccine is ever found so living in fear is not an option.

  4. jeterleader

    it’ll mean my fantasy football will start sooner and insure coronavirus and injury safety so I can draft anyone

  5. tjbarnaba

    All you people who are acting like the virus is a big deal, I feel bad for you. It’s the flu. Get over yourselves and stop watching CNN.

    • Stillers12
      Stillers12

      That’s all I needed to hear.

      “Honey! It’s the flu. Yah, yah, tjbarnaba said so. Yup, it’s all good. No, no, the CDC is wrong. I’m telling you, tjbarnaba knows what is up. I think he finished all 12 years of public education.”

  6. LouGrozasToe

    Well, at the very least, seeing how the NFL/NFLPA, refs, staffs, scouts, etc all handle this will be an education in how to operate a massive team sport during a pandemic event.
    I still give the NFL about 75% chance of starting “on time” and maybe 25 % chance of finishing “on time” and without any major interruptions.
    All sports for 2020-2021 will have an asterisk next to their final results and stats.

  7. crosseyedlemon

    Losing the preseason means we won’t be treated to such epic battles as: Giants vs Jets, Lions vs Dolphins and Redskins vs Jaguars. Ouch!

    • UberSTCrew

      @crosseyedlemon
      I don’t think you understand what preseason is for. These are practice games. Most people only watch their own favorite team’s games. Losing a couple of practice games could hurt younger players trying to make rosters and/or hinder players new to teams who are trying to learn new systems or teams with new coaches who are installing new systems.

  8. nutznboltz

    There are 17 other diseases that kill more people,world wide on a daily basis, than COVID. The leading killer is taburculosis. Whooping cough and the flu kill more people. Be paranoid and believe all the fake news if you choose. Can’t live your lives in fear. Don’t take my word for it;look up the numbers. I would post the exact numbers, but there is no way to attach something to these posts.

    • Ak185

      There’s a difference between panic and caution. Shark attacks don’t kill as many people as car accidents, but you wouldn’t strap a steak to your leg and go for a swim, would you?

Leave a Reply