The Cardinals are almost finished signing their draft class. The team announced that they’ve signed second-round tight end Trey McBride, seventh-round cornerback Christian Matthew, and seventh-round offensive lineman Marquis Hayes to their rookie contracts.
Following a standout college career at Colorado State, the Cardinals made McBride not only their first selection of the draft. They also made him the first tight end off the board when they selected him in the second round (No. 55). After collecting 74 receptions through his first three collegiate seasons, McBride exploded in 2021, hauling in 90 catches for 1,121 yards. The performance earned him a number of accolades, including a unanimous All-American selection and the John Mackey Award, which is given to the top tight end in college football.
The Cardinals held on to Zach Ertz, so McBride will be playing behind the veteran to start his career. However, in a creative and (usually) high-flying offense, it shouldn’t take look for McBride to carve out a role.
As our team-by-team 2022 NFL Draft results show, the Cardinals only have a pair of unsigned draft picks:
- Round 2: No. 55 Trey McBride, TE (Colorado State) (signed)
- Round 3: No. 87 Cameron Thomas, DE (San Diego State)
- Round 3: No. 100 (from Ravens) Myjai Sanders, DE (Cincinnati)
- Round 6: No. 201 Keaontay Ingram, RB (USC) (signed)
- Round 6: No. 215 Lecitus Smith, OG (Virginia Tech) (signed)
- Round 7: No. 244 Christian Matthew, CB (Valdosta State) (signed)
- Round 7: No. 256 Jesse Luketa, OLB (Penn State) (signed)
- Round 7: No. 257 Marquis Hayes, OG (Oklahoma) (signed)
One comment on “Cardinals Sign Second-Round TE Trey McBride”
So are the Cards an air raid, or a 2 TE offense?