After interviewing twice for the Ravens offensive coordinator gig, Dave Canales is getting a look in Tampa Bay. The Seahawks quarterbacks coach is interviewing for the Buccaneers offensive coordinator job, according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler (via Twitter).
Canales has been on Pete Carroll’s staff in Seattle since the head coach joined the organization in 2010. Canales had an eight-year stint as wide receivers coach before taking on the roles of quarterbacks coach and, later, passing game coordinator. Following a two-year stint in that latter role, Canales reverted back to his QBs role in 2022.
During his time as receivers coach, Canales helped develop undrafted wideout Doug Baldwin into a 1,000-yard receiver. As QBs coach, Canales had plenty of success with Russell Wilson under center, but he really showed his skills in 2022 when he helped guide veteran Geno Smith to his first-career Pro Bowl nod.
Thanks to his success in Seattle, Canales emerged as a main candidate for Baltimore’s offensive coordinator gig. The 41-year-old was one of several candidates to move on to the second round of interviews, and he’s presumably still in the running for that job. In Tampa Bay, he’ll be joining a growing list of candidates that also includes:
- Jim Bob Cooter, passing-game coordinator (Jaguars): Interviewed 1/26
- Ronald Curry, passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach (Saints): Interviewed 1/31
- Klint Kubiak, quarterbacks coach (Broncos): Interviewed 1/26
- Keenan McCardell, wide receivers coach (Vikings): Interviewed 1/26
- Todd Monken, offensive coordinator (Georgia): Interviewed 1/31
- Dan Pitcher, quarterbacks coach (Bengals): Extended by Bengals; Conducted second interview 2/8
- Shea Tierney, quarterbacks coach (Giants): Interviewed 1/31
The Buccaneers did make one coaching move today. The team signed 84-year-old Tom Moore to a contract extension, per NFL Network’s Peter Schrager (on Twitter). The four-time Super Bowl champion has served as an offensive consultant in Tampa Bay since 2019. Per Schrager, this was the 47th contract that Moore has signed during his illustrious career.
One comment on “Buccaneers Interviewing Dave Canales For OC Job”
Jim Bob Cooter deserves any job he applies for. One of the greatest coaching names ever