Could openly gay NFL draft prospect Michael Sam be a fit for the Eagles? Probably not, and it has nothing to do with his orientation, writes Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com. The Mizzou linebacker opened the season strong but his production slowed as the season went on. He racked up ten sacks in his first eight games but just 1.5 in his final six. Beyond that, his best fit is probably as a situational pass rusher in a 4-3, but Philly already has a 6’2, 260-ish pound 4-3 DE who can rush the passer, but struggles with everything else in Brandon Graham. More out of the NFC East..
- Zach Berman of Philly.com offers up an evaluation of the quarterback position for the Eagles. Michael Vick won’t return unless he can’t find a starting job elsewhere and no one should expect that to happen. With questions about Matt Barkley, the Eagles will be looking for a reliable No. 2 QB to slot behind Nick Foles. Berman suggests Josh Freeman, Chad Henne, and Tarvaris Jackson as some possible candidates.
- Despite talk that the Cowboys could be ready to move on from Miles Austin, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network (on Twitter) notes that it doesn’t make sense to cut the wide receiver just yet. Cutting him now would save just $400K but releasing him after June 1st would bring them more cap relief.
- Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap (on Twitter) adds that releasing Austin after June 1st will give the Cowboys enough space to sign their rookie class.
- Mike Jones of the Washington Post asks if the Redskins should move on from Brandon Meriweather.
- Wide receiver Joe Anderson got a $20K bonus on his futures deal from the Eagles while Josh Kaddu got $25K to sign, tweets Bryan McIntyre.