The Vikings have a promising quarterback situation after drafting Teddy Bridgewater with the last pick of the first round last year, but lost their backup when they traded Matt Cassel to the Bills. However, they might already have their eyes on Shaun Hill as a veteran backup, writes Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press.
Hill played with the Vikings between 2002 and 2005, and has experience with offensive coordinator Norv Turner from their time together with the 49ers in 2006. Hill started eight games in 2014 in relief of Sam Bradford.
Here are some more notes from the Vikings as they build their roster for 2015:
- One player currently on the roster who wants to be back is linebacker Jasper Brinkley, writes Tomasson. Brinkley was with the team from 2009-2012 and returned to the team in 2014. “I would love to come back,’’ Brinkley said. “They gave me an opportunity and it still feels like home for me. I would love to definitely come back. Coach Zimmer is doing great things with the team, turning the culture around there and everything is on the up and up.’’
- The Vikings’ big move last season was keeping defensive end Everson Griffen with the team, and this offseason the team could look to add a pass rusher across from their young star. Ben Goessling of ESPN reports that the team has looked into the possibility of signing Adrian Clayborn (via Twitter).
- Another pass rusher the Vikings may be interested in is former Cowboys defensive end George Selvie, according to Goessling (via Twitter).
- One player the team has not reached out to as of yet is division-rival Packers cornerback Davon House, according to Goessling (via Twitter). They also have not expressed interest in Tramon Williams, according to Tomasson (via Twitter). That wouldn’t rule either out as a potential target.
- While the team has reached out to a number of players already and has been rumored to be linked to a few more, Matt Vensel of the Star Tribune warns that rumors fly this time of the year but that does not necessarily mean the Vikings will land all or any of these players.