Minutes ago, Chargers GM Tom Telesco addressed reporters and took questions on a wide range of topics, including the uncertainty surrounding quarterback Philip Rivers. Here’s a look at the highlights with all links going to Twitter..
- Telesco says that Rivers is the Chargers’ quarterback and his “intent” is to keep it that way, tweets Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego. That statement probably won’t stop the chatter, and neither will this one: “I figure at least half of you are here for a Philip Rivers update. … There really is no update,” the GM said (link).
- Still, Telesco told reporters (including Gehlken) that he’d be as honest as possible about Rivers and other matters, explaining, “I’m Cathlolic. I tell the truth.“
- The GM dodged a question about whether he’s spoken to the Titans about Rivers (via Gehlken).
- Telesco said the Chargers are evaluating Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota because “it’s what we do,” Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean tweets.
- Like Rivers, Telesco said he wants safety Eric Weddle with the Chargers long-term, Eric Williams of ESPN.com tweets. Weddle, of course, is absent from camp as he pushes for a contract extension. Even though the interest is mutual, the two sides probably won’t hammer out a new deal in the next eight days. “Right now, we’re focused on the draft,” Telesco said (via Gehlken).
- When asked about Weddle’s no-show, Telesco emphasized that they are voluntary (via Williams).
- Telesco said the stadium issue has not affected day-to-day football operations, but he’s not naive about what is going on, Williams tweets.
- Telesco says he’s pleased with what the organization has got done so far this offseason (via Williams).