Here’s the latest on the Titans, who hold the No. 2 overall pick in this week’s draft..
- Titans GM Ruston Webster said he’s getting calls about the No.2 pick, though none of the talks are serious right now, Jim Wyatt of The Tennesseean tweets. The GM explained (link) that he likes the No. 2 spot and, like many execs, isn’t wowed by the depth of the first round. He feels that there are about 16 or 17 players who are really worthy of being deemed first-round talent.
- The GM says that he won’t trade Zach Mettenberger even if they draft a quarterback in the first round, Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com (on Twitter). He later said that if you think a player is a franchise quarterback, it supersedes everything else (link via Wyatt). If Webster is sold on whichever quarterback falls to him at No. 2, it sounds like he’ll happily stand pat and pull the trigger.
- Webster said he’s excited about the 33rd overall pick and there could be action there too, Wyatt tweets.
- Webster says he’d like to come out of this draft with a right tackle to complement Taylor Lewan long-term, according to John Glennon of The Tennessean (on Twitter). This draft doesn’t necessarily boast a lot of great tackles, so it might be a challenge for him to find that.
- Even though he feels that the Titans have improved depth at wide receiver with the additions of Harry Douglas and Hakeem Nicks, Webster says he might still grab a WR in the draft, McCormick tweets.