Johnny Manziel has reached a tentative deal with prosecutors for a dismissal of his domestic assault case, according to Schuyler Dixon of The Associated Press. Manziel’s case stems from allegations brought forth by his ex-girlfriend.
The 23-year-old was/is facing a misdemeanor assault charge that calls for up to a year in jail and a $4K fine. Defense attorney Jim Darnell says the deal still needs to be finalized, but he left a Thursday morning hearing feeling encouraged. Another hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 1, when the case could be settled and put to bed.
At the moment, Manziel is technically free to sign with any team and is not under suspension. However, he may still face discipline for the aforementioned DV case, even if charges are dropped. Furthermore, teams are probably going to steer clear from Manziel until he can demonstrate that his demons are behind him and that he will focus on football. So far, he has done nothing to ease such concerns.
Manziel’s off-the-field problems have prompted his father to say that he should jailed and led two agents to drop him in the last year. His last agent, Drew Rosenhaus, claimed that there was NFL interest in Manziel as recently as March. Of course, it’s fair to take a skeptical view of Rosenhaus’ comments.
Back in July, Manziel privately told people that he was eyeing a 2017 NFL comeback and had effectively given up on 2016.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.