The Panthers have signed rookie D.J. Moore, according to an announcement from the team. With the wide receiver under contract, the Panthers have now wrapped up their entire draft class.
Early on in draft season, many believed that Alabama’s Calvin Ridley would be the first receiver to come off of the board. However, with strong performances in workouts, Moore leapfrogged him on many draft boards. Moore won out as he was selected 24th overall by the Panthers while Ridley went No. 26 overall to the Falcons.
The Maryland standout earned Big Ten Receiver of the Year honors last year after setting a single-season school record for receptions with 80. Despite playing with four different quarterbacks, Moore posted 1,033 receiving yards and eight touchdowns, becoming just the third wide receiver in school history to post a 1,000-yard receiving season.
Moore will now be tasked with a significant role in the Panthers’ offense as he catches passes from Cam Newton. Moore projects to be the one of the team’s top wide receivers, along with Devin Funchess and fellow Maryland alum Torrey Smith.
Per the terms of his slot, Moore will earn roughly $11.2MM over the course of his four-year deal. The pact will include a $6.2MM signing bonus.
Here’s the complete rundown of Carolina’s draft class:
- 1-24: D.J. Moore, WR (Maryland): Signed
- 2-55: Donte Jackson, CB (LSU): Signed
- 3-85: Rashaan Gaulden, CB (Tennessee): Signed
- 4-101: Ian Thomas, TE (Indiana): Signed
- 4-136: Marquis Haynes, DE (Ole Miss): Signed
- 5-161: Jermaine Carter Jr., LB (Maryland): Signed
- 7-234: Andre Smith, LB (North Carolina): Signed
- 7-242: Kendrick Norton, DT (Miami): Signed
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.