Colts’ Anthony Castonzo To Continue Playing

Anthony Castonzo isn’t going anywhere. The left tackle has been mulling retirement, but GM Chris Ballard told reporters on Tuesday that he’ll return in 2020 (Twitter link via ESPN.com’s Field Yates). 

Now, the two sides will have to has out a new contract. Ballard says they’re discussing a new deal for the pending free agent in order to keep one of the league’s best offensive lines in tact.

Castonzo is coming off of a four-year, $43.8MM deal. But, even has he mulled retirement, he was not considering the possibility of playing for another team. For the 31-year-old (32 in May), it was the Colts or nothin’. He’s going with the former, and a lucrative new contract should be just around the corner.

The 2011 first-round pick has never made the Pro Bowl, but he’s started in all 132 of his games with consistently strong play. Last year, the Boston College product graded out as Pro Football Focus’ No. 7 ranked tackle in the entire NFL. His 81.3 overall score was even stronger than his 2017 and 2018 showings, proving that he still has plenty of football left in the tank.

With Castonzo (likely) in the fold, the Colts can apply their ample cap room towards other areas on their to-do list. That list, of course, starts with figuring out their quarterback situation.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

View Comments (5)
newest oldest

5 comments on “Colts’ Anthony Castonzo To Continue Playing

  1. canajay12

    This gives me optimism for the coming season. Keeping that OL in tact is going to be crucial to making the playoffs this season. Brissett or whoever the QB ends up being will have no excuses especially if they bring in another high end target via FA or the draft.

    Spend the rest of the cap on the defensive side of the ball, a pass rusher and a DB wouldn’t hurt.

      • chorn47

        glowinski sucks. move Smith to right guard where you drafted him to play and get a real right tackle.

Leave a Reply