Vikings GM Shoots Down Stefon Diggs Trade Talk

Stefon Diggs is staying put. At least, that’s what Vikings GM Rick Spielman told reporters on Tuesday morning at the NFL’s draft combine.

[RELATED: Vikings’ Everson Griffen To Opt Out]

There is no reason to anticipate that Stefon Diggs is not going to be a Minnesota Viking,” the GM said (Twitter link via Nick Shook of NFL.com).

Reports of drama with Diggs raged throughout the 2019 season. The wide receiver indicated that he wasn’t happy with his role early on in the year and even after he walked back some of his comments, many still believed that he wanted out. At this juncture, it sounds like the Vikings are committed to smoothing things out with the ultra-talented offensive weapon.

Diggs, entering his age-27 season, is signed through 2023 thanks to his five-year, $72MM re-up. He didn’t always get as many looks as he wanted last year as the Vikings put a greater emphasis on the run. This year, it’s possible that they’ll look to Diggs more often with Gary Kubiak as their new offensive coordinator.

Last year, Diggs caught 63 passes for 1,130 yards and six touchdowns. He was targeted just 94 times – down from his 149 targets in 2018 – but he was more efficient than ever as he averaged 17.9 yards per catch.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

View Comments (2)
newest oldest

2 comments on “Vikings GM Shoots Down Stefon Diggs Trade Talk

  1. JJB0811

    Minny is going into the season w/ a lame duck GM, head coach, and QB. I can see the bottom falling out on them. I can see them moving players at the trade deadline for picks.

    • monymgr

      Not sure when the trade deadline hits but I can see a team like the Patriots or Ravens making a draft day trade for Diggs.

Leave a Reply