Police Case On Shooting Involving Xavien Howard Closed

A story made headlines yesterday when it was reported that Dolphins star cornerback Xavien Howard was mentioned in a police report concerning a shooting at his former agent Damarious Bilbo’s house, but it looks like it’s going to turn out to be a nothing-burger.

The Dunwoody, Georgia police department announced Monday that they’ve closed the case, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. According to the report yesterday somebody fired a shot into Bilbo’s house, and although Howard wasn’t suspected as the shooter police did request to interview him several times but he declined. Bilbo no longer represents Howard, but he negotiated his big five-year extension with Miami in 2019.

Jackson does not that while the police department said the case is now inactive, they could reopen it in the future if more information comes to light. It’s a good thing this drama has been mostly cleared up, since Howard has enough on his plate this offseason.

He’s since grown unhappy with that aforementioned extension and feels underpaid, and is reportedly expected to ask for a trade if the Dolphins don’t renegotiate it. Miami took calls on Howard around last trade deadline, but they were understandably seeking a hefty sum and nothing got done.

Howard was a first-team All-Pro this past season and legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate. He’s become arguably the NFL’s top ballhawk, leading the league with ten interceptions in 2020. A knee injury cost him most of the 2019 season, but he was an All-Pro in 2018 too and is still only 27.

Even with the recent drama, there will likely be no shortage of suitors if the Dolphins do decide to trade him. Wherever he’s playing in 2021 though, it sounds like he’s going to want to be the highest-paid corner in the NFL.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

View Comments (12)
newest oldest

12 comments on “Police Case On Shooting Involving Xavien Howard Closed

  1. letmeclearmythroat74

    Uh… as I said , innocent until proven guilty … can we move on now ? Just sayin, Unfortunately and usually it comes out the other way, so I get the skeptics but the whole thing didn’t make sense.

    • DarkSide830

      no one was saying he was guilty, meerly that it was understandable that he’s at least be talked to in connection to the case given the involved parties.

  2. LazingLeopard

    While a Howard restructure would limit Miami’s already modest cap space and certainly makes a Watson trade more difficult/less likely, the Dolphins would be foolish to trade him.

    Still a team moving in the right direction as atthe end of the day, two firsts and the cap savings wouldnt be the worst outcome since Marino’s retirement either.

  3. Ak185

    Howard’s got to realize that renegotiation now would totally kill any goodwill between him and the rest of the teams in the league when it comes to future contracts. It’s not just Miami-whatever team gives him his next offer is going to have to consider this cycle when they make him a pitch. He got a pretty hefty deal just recently-agitating for a re-up now only has the potential to hurt him and his future earnings.

    The only way this works in Howard’s advantage is if he honestly thinks that he’ll never play as well in the future as he did last year and the year before. This isn’t the last year of a sub-value deal, or a team trying to escape a financial commitment on a bad contract. It’s just way too soon after the previous big deal to be agitating for another.

  4. KCJ

    God I just love it when these prima donna athletes whine about being underpaid a year or so after signing a huge contract. Particularly in the midst of a pandemic when the salary cap is going down. Just STFU and play already! And from now on, just sign one year contracts and see how that works out for ya

Leave a Reply