It’s officially official. On Wednesday, the Bengals formally signed first-round wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase. They also inked third-round defensive end Joseph Ossai, completing their ten-man draft class.
Chase opted out of the 2020 season at LSU, but that didn’t bother NFL evaluators much. In the previous year, Chase set SEC single-season records in receiving yards (1,780) and receiving touchdowns (20). That same Burrow-led offense produced three skill position players that went in the first round of the 2020 draft, including Justin Jefferson. Chase, according to many scouts, is an even better prospect.
“I thought Chase was on a different level [than Jefferson],” one scout told The Athletic earlier this year. “Watching what Jefferson did this year (with the Vikings), that just makes me say, ‘Good Lord.’ Honestly, I thought (Chase) was the best receiver in the class last year.”
All in all, Chase’s 27 career games (21 starts) saw 98 catches for 2093 yards and 23 TDs. He also notched eight career 100-yard receiving games, including three 200-yard showings.
Here’s the full rundown of the Bengals’ 2021 draft class — now signed from top to bottom:
- Round 1: No. 5 Ja’Marr Chase, WR (LSU)
- Round 2: No. 46 (from Patriots) Jackson Carman, OT (Clemson) (signed)
- Round 3: No. 69 Joseph Ossai, DE (Texas)
- Round 4: No. 111 Cameron Sample, DE (Tulane)
- Round 4: No. 122 Tyler Shelvin, DT (LSU)
- Round 4: No. 139 D’ante Smith, OT (East Carolina)
- Round 5: No. 149 Evan McPherson, K (Florida)
- Round 6: No. 190 Trey Hill, C (Georgia)
- Round 7: No. 202 (from Dolphins through Texans) Chris Evans, RB (Michigan)
- Round 7: No. 235 (from Lions through Seahawks) Wyatt Hubert, DE (Kansas State)
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.