Been busy? Let’s get you caught up with a look back at some of the NFL’s biggest stories from the past week:
- Dolphins, Texans talking Watson trade: Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is in “win now” mode, which means that the Deshaun Watson trade talks have been picking up. The Watson news has been coming in fast and furious over the past week, including this critical bit of info — the embattled QB will not be placed on the exempt list if he is traded. The Dolphins are not alone in their pursuit, however — the Panthers, Eagles, Broncos, and other clubs have been in talks with the Texans.
- Dolphins’ HC Flores on hot seat: Brian Flores has been quick to back up Tua Tagovailoa as his quarterback. However, there’s no guarantee that he’ll be the Dolphins’ head coach for much longer. The ‘Fins losing streak has Flores on the hot seat and his locker room status isn’t helping. Said one source who spoke to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, “There is a really negative vibe down there right now. A lot of players do not trust (Flores). Flo thinks he is a player’s coach, with an open-door policy, but I know a number of players who would tell you they don’t really think he is approachable enough, or flexible.”
- Ravens’ Stanley done for year: Ronnie Stanley opted for another surgery, officially shutting him down for the rest of 2021. The Ravens are now without their All-Pro left tackle, in addition to a number of other key players. Stanley became the team’s 17th Ravens player to reach IR, more than any other team in the league.
- Eagles’ Dillard drawing trade interest: Despite Andre Dillard’s mini-resurgence, the Eagles are listening to trade inquiries on the former first-round tackle. A “quality” Round 2 or 3 selection could be enough to pry him loose between now and Nov. 2, according to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport. Elsewhere in the NFC, the Seahawks are entertaining calls on defensive lineman L.J. Collier. Given Collier’s performance to date, he can probably be had for a Day 3 draft choice.
- Broncos trade for Vikings’ Weatherly: As we prepare for bigger moves ahead, the Broncos and Vikings completed a pre-deadline trade sending defensive end Stephen Weatherly to Denver.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.