The list of general manager candidates receiving second looks from the Steelers continues to grow. Pittsburgh is set to interview Eagles vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl again, per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero (Twitter link).
A Pittsburgh native, Weidl began his front office career with the Steelers in 1998 as a player personnel assistant. His time with the team was short-lived, as he went on to have scouting stints with both the Saints and Ravens. In 2016, he joined the Eagles’ front office, ultimately being promoted to his current role three years later.
Weidl was named an interviewee in February as the Steelers cast a wide net in search of Kevin Colbert‘s replacement. His connection to the Steelers, and success the Eagles enjoyed during his tenure there, make him a logical candidate for the vacant GM position. If he were to leave, he would continue a significant exodus of key front office personnel suffered by the Eagles this offseason. The list of executives moving on to other franchises includes Brandon Brown, Ian Cunningham, Catherine Raiche and scouting director Casey Weidl, Andy’s brother.
This news adds Weidl to the pool of candidates receiving extra consideration, a group which now has four members. Here is an updated look at the search:
- Morocco Brown, college scouting director (Colts): Interviewed
- Ran Carthon, director of player personnel (49ers): Interviewed
- Ryan Cowden, vice president of player personnel (Titans): Conducted second interview
- Ed Dodds, assistant general manager (Colts): Interviewed 2/4
- Joe Hortiz, director of player personnel (Ravens): Interviewed
- Brandon Hunt, pro scouting director (Steelers): Interviewed
- Omar Khan, vice president of football and business administration (Steelers): Interviewed
- Dan Morgan, assistant general manager (Panthers): Interviewed
- Jerry Reese, former general manager (Giants): Interviewed
- Louis Riddick, former director of pro personnel (Eagles): Interviewed
- Rick Spielman, former general manager (Vikings): Interviewed
- John Spytek, director of player personnel (Buccaneers): To conduct second interview
- Andy Weidl, vice president of player personnel (Eagles): To conduct second interview
- Doug Whaley, vice president of player personnel (XFL): To conduct second interview
- John Wojciechowski, co-director of player personnel (Packers): Interviewed
- JoJo Wooden, director of player personnel (Chargers): Interviewed by 2/4