Today’s minor moves around the league:
- Activated from PUP list: WR David Bell
- Activated from reserve/NFI list: LB Anthony Walker
- Activated from reserve/non-football illness list: WR Javon Wims
- Placed on IR: DE Stephen Weatherly
- Released via injury settlement: OL Jared Hocker
New Orleans Saints
- Placed on reserve/retired list: LB Kiko Alonso (story)
- Signed: CB Quenton Meeks
- Placed on IR: OL Jerald Hawkins
New York Giants
- Activated from reserve/retired list: LB Tre Walker
Weatherly was in line for a rotational role with the Browns this season behind entrenched starters Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney. The 28-year-old was coming off of a sack-less campaign with the Vikings last year, but has 73 games and 17 starts on his NFL resume. In his absence, the Browns will depend not only on another mostly healthy season for Clowney, but also third-round rookie Alex Wright and recent USFL signing Chris Odom in the edge rush department.
Just yesterday, Walker surprisingly ended his NFL career before it began, briefly becoming the second young Commander this offseason to hand up his cleats unexpectedly. Hours later, however, the UDFA changed his mind and asked to be reinstated. Having signed him to his rookie contract, Washington held the rights to the San Jose State alum and were free to bring him back into the fold. He will once again look to make the team’s roster – something he has a decent chance at, given the lack of proven options Washington has down the depth chart at ILB.