On a conference call with reporters today, draft expert Mike Mayock of NFL Network said 2014’s draft class is the deepest in the last 10 years, adding that having a top-20 pick this year is the equivalent of having a top-10 pick in 2013 (Twitter link via Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune). Teams searching for receiving help are in especially good position, since this looks like the best WR class in years, according to Mayock (Twitter link via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald). Here are a few more draft-related links, as the 2014 combine nears:
- While Mayock has discussed several specific players and their stocks during his conference call, one of his more interesting comments was about the depth in the draft at offensive tackle and cornerback. As Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald tweets, Mayock believes there will be quality tackles and cornerbacks available in the third or fourth rounds, perhaps even players who could start for NFL teams.
- Jason Fitzgerald of OverTheCap.com has published his initial estimates for the rookie pool amounts available to all 32 NFL teams this May. The Browns and Rams, each armed with an extra first-round pick, lead the way with over $9MM+ in projected first-year bonus money.
- Having met extensively with top prospect Johnny Manziel, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle came away extremely impressed with the Texas A&M quarterback, and believes Manziel would be the Texans’ best choice for the first overall pick.
- The Ravens will be eyeing running backs in the draft, and Clifton Brown of CSNBaltimore.com suggests a few names that should be on the club’s radar.
- The NFL has released the schedule detailing when many of the league’s head coaches and general managers will be speaking to the media this weekend at the combine. You can find the specifics right here.