The latest from the AFC East:
- Ryan Fitzpatrick wants to be paid in line with the salaries that starting quarterbacks seem to be getting, which begins at about $16MM per year and works its way up, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link). The Jets are not comfortable going that far for the veteran quarterback and Cole says that the QB needs another team to get involved in the bidding process in order to make that kind of sum a reality.
- The Jets have made an offer to Fitzpatrick that is only a little better than what Chase Daniel got from the Eagles, Albert Breer of NFL.com tweets. Daniel and the Eagles agreed to a three-year deal with a base value of $21MM on Wednesday. The pact carries a max value of $36MM with a $3MM signing bonus. That’s a far cry from what Fitzpatrick is currently seeking.
- There isn’t acrimony between the Jets and Fitzpatrick, however, according to Breer (on Twitter). The Jets have told the veteran that they want him back as their starting QB, but they have set a price for him and they plan on sticking to it.
- Three NFL GMs refuse to sign Brent Grimes because of his wife’s antics, per Cole (video link). Grimes’ wife continues to make news off the field and execs are worried that she can become a distraction. Grimes’ wife, Cole reports, was the main reason why the Dolphins pushed Grimes to take a pay cut for 2016. When the two sides couldn’t agree to terms, Miami simply cut the cornerback. Grimes is still considered to be a very talented player, but as long as Miko Grimes continues to make the news for all the wrong reasons, it sounds like teams will be wary of adding him.
- Benny Cunningham is visiting the Patriots today, according to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com (on Twitter).