Welcome to Pro Football Rumors! A clearinghouse for relevant, legitimate NFL news and rumors, PFR will focus on free agency, the draft, and the trade market, following the model of MLB Trade Rumors and Hoops Rumors. I’ll be the site’s head writer and editor, and will be joined by eight part-time writers who will bring you the latest NFL updates 365 days a year.
We’ve already been updating the site with stories for about a week, so here’s a look at some of the notable headlines from the last few days, as we approach the Super Bowl:
- There are rumblings around the NFL that Peyton Manning will call it a career if he and the Broncos win the Super Bowl, but Manning’s public stance is that, win or lose, he plans to return for the 2014 season.
- The Browns became the NFL’s last team to hire a head coach, tabbing ex-Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine as their man.
- After initially suggesting that he’d seriously consider retiring if the Broncos win on Sunday, cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie backed off those comments, and appears poised for a lucrative multiyear contract on the free agent market.
- Dennis Hickey, formerly of the Bucs, became the new Dolphins’ general manager. Hickey will be tasked with finding a home for offensive lineman Jonathan Martin, who wants to continue his NFL career after last season’s highly publicized bullying scandal.
- The Panthers signed coach Ron Rivera to a three-year contract extension, locking up Riverboat Ron through the 2017 season.
We’ll be rolling out plenty of features in the next several weeks and months, and will keep on top of all the latest rumors this offseason, with free agency set to begin in March and the draft scheduled for May. For now, you can check out our complete list of 2014 free agents, and our rundown of important offseason dates for 2014. You can also follow us via Twitter, Facebook, RSS, and Google+. If you’d just like to receive updates on a specific team, you can find the appropriate feed right here.