Maurice Jones-Drew is currently looking for about $3.5MM per year on his next deal, tweets Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. Even though the former Jaguars star has accomplished great things throughout his career, finding big money as an older tailback in this market could prove to be tough. More from around the NFL..
- Don’t bank on the Cowboys signing Jared Allen, says Albert Breer of the NFL Network (Twitter links). Breer’s understanding is that it was an either/or proposition when it came to Allen and Henry Melton, whom Dallas signed earlier this week. That could change if Allen’s asking price comes down, however.
- The Bills and Panthers have expressed interest in wide receiver Kenny Britt and visits may be taking place with those teams, agent Pat Dye Jr. tells Alex Marvez of FOX Sports 1 (via Twitter). Dye says a short-term deal for Britt, who has already checked in with the Redskins, Rams, and Patriots, is likely.
- On SNY (via Manish Mehta of the Daily News on Twitter), Jets coach Rex Ryan gave Geno Smith quite the endorsement. “Make no mistake about it: Geno Smith is going to be hard to beat out. I don’t care who we add,” Ryan said.
- The Jets have expressed a desire to re-sign guard Vlad Ducasse, but Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com (on Twitter) sees him signing with the Bengals or Vikings.
- In addition to the Jets, the Panthers and Raiders have also called the Eagles about DeSean Jackson, tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. There seems to be a healthy amount of interest in the 27-year-old.
- Former Browns All-Pro safety T.J. Ward indicated via Twitter that Cleveland’s new brass really didn’t want him back. “Quotes get misunderstood all the time,” the new member of the Broncos wrote. “Just FYI. Cleveland offered me nothing. Boom! There u have it. #GoBroncos.”
- The Panthers are working out receivers Kevin Cone, Lestar Jean, and C.J. Akins, tweets Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. Aikins spent time with the Rams in 2013.
- Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey told SiriusXM NFL Radio (on Twitter) that he’s not done shopping just yet. “Free agency never closes. We’re always looking to add more players.“