Johnny Manziel will be spending the next two days visiting with the Raiders, reports Adam Schefter of ESPN.com. The former Texas A&M quarterback, who met privately with the Patriots last week, is expected to be a top-15 pick in next month’s draft. Though the Raiders acquired veteran signal-caller Matt Schaub last month via trade, the team could still look to add youth at the quarterback position with the No. 5 overall selection. Oakland’s QB depth chart also contains Matt McGloin, who is expected to be the primary backup, and Terrelle Pryor, who will likely be traded or released.
Other news items from the AFC:
- If the Patriots trade up from pick No. 29, it could be to select a receiver like USC’s Marqise Lee or LSU’s Odell Beckham, Jr., writes Doug Kyed of NESN.com.
- Kyed notes within the same piece that running back Chris Johnson, released last week by the Titans, could interest the Patriots, but not at the price that he will likely command.
- Middle Tennessee State offensive guard Josh Walker will have a private workout with the Colts’ offensive line coach, reports Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post. Walker will also meet with the Saints on April 9.
- The Bills are “all in” on second-year quarterback E.J. Manuel, meaning they will not select one of the “big three” QBs expected to go in the first round of the draft, opines Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com.
- Trading down in the draft makes sense for the Chiefs, says ESPN.com’s Adam Teicher. The Chiefs do not have a second-round pick this year, having sent it to the 49ers in exchange for quarterback Alex Smith.