The latest surrounding the Patriots’ backup QB:
- Before the Patriots took Jimmy Garappolo, Texans general manager Rick Smith repeated that the team had no discussions regarding a Ryan Mallett trade, per ESPN’s Ed Werder (on Twitter).
- Werder also notes on Twitter that the Texans were considering taking Garappolo themselves in the third round. Werder adds that Houston “remains adamant” in not wanting to trade for Mallett.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter agrees, tweeting that he expects Mallett to remain with the Patriots.
- However, NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport tweets that the Patriots were waiting to see if a desirable quarterback fell to them before considering dealing Mallett. With Garappolo in tow, the Pats have the leeway to move their backup QB.
- If the Texans do acquire Mallett, they would sign him to a one-year extension, adds Rapoport (via Twitter). Mallett is currently signed only through the 2014 season.