Earlier today, Panthers GM Dave Gettleman spoke to reporters about Josh Norman and other issues concerning the team. Here are the highlights:
- Gettleman says no doors have been shut on a Norman return, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. However, one has to imagine that a multi-year deal between the two sides is now something of a longshot. Even if the Panthers wanted to jump back into the mix, they‘d be vying with at least ten other NFL teams.
- Gettleman says the Norman decision will not impact the Panthers’ draft strategy (via Panthers on Twitter). “We’re going to take the best player available,” the GM said.
- Gettleman praised the professionalism of Norman and his agent throughout the process (Twitter link via Joe Person of The Charlotte Observer).
- Gettleman says he sees four or five first-round offensive tackles in the draft (Twitter link via Person).
- When asked about his surprising decision on Norman, Gettleman said, “You might say Dave’s cavalier about this and yada, yada, yada. But bottom line we don’t play until Sept. 8,” (Twitter link via Person).
- Gettleman says having the option of a fifth-year option on a first round pick makes it hard to consider trading out of the first round (link via Newton).