Because most NFL coaching changes happen in January, those moves can often be overshadowed by the postseason and – subsequently – by the major moves that teams makes in free agency and during the draft. However, those coaching changes shouldn’t be overlooked.
A year ago, more than half of the league’s 32 teams made changes at at least one of their head coach, offensive coordinator, or defensive coordinator spots, and many of these hirings turned into major stories throughout the 2015 season. New Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase was lauded for his work with Jay Cutler, and new Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter had similar success with rookie Jameis Winston. Both Gase and Koetter turned their one-year OC gigs into head coaching jobs.
Meanwhile, in Denver, Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips enjoyed a ton of success in their first year as the Broncos’ head coach and defensive coordinator, respectively. Phillips’ impact on the defense, in particular, buoyed the Broncos to a Super Bowl win despite mediocre quarterback play.
Which new coaches could make a similar impact this year? We may have to wait to find out, but there are certainly plenty of candidates. The full breakdown of 2016’s major coaching changes from around the league is below. Interim coaches who were promoted to a permanent job, such as Mike Mularkey with the Titans, aren’t included.
- Cleveland Browns: Hired Hue Jackson to replace Mike Pettine.
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Adam Gase to replace Dan Campbell (interim).
- New York Giants: Promoted Ben McAdoo to replace Tom Coughlin.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Hired Doug Pederson to replace Pat Shurmur (interim) / Chip Kelly.
- San Francisco 49ers: Hired Chip Kelly to replace Jim Tomsula.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Promoted Dirk Koetter to replace Lovie Smith.
- Chicago Bears: Promoted Dowell Loggains to replace Adam Gase.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Promoted Ken Zampese to replace Hue Jackson.
- Clevleand Browns: Won’t hire formal OC to replace John DeFilippo.
- Kansas City Chiefs: Promoted Brad Childress and Matt Nagy to replace Doug Pederson.
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Clyde Christensen to replace Zac Taylor.
- New York Giants: Promoted Mike Sullivan to replace Ben McAdoo.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Hired Frank Reich to replace Pat Shurmur.
- San Diego Chargers: Hired Ken Whisenhunt to replace Frank Reich.
- San Francisco 49ers: Hired Curtis Modkins to replace Geep Chryst.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Todd Monken to replace Dirk Koetter.
- Tennessee Titans: Hired Terry Robiskie to replace Jason Michael.
- Cleveland Browns: Hired Ray Horton to replace Jim O’Neil.
- Indianapolis Colts: Hired Ted Monachino to replace Greg Manusky.
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Hired Todd Wash to replace Bob Babich.
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Vance Joseph to replace Lou Anarumo.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Hired Jim Schwartz to replace Billy Davis.
- San Francisco 49ers: Hired Jim O’Neil to replace Eric Mangini.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Mike Smith to replace Leslie Frazier.
- Tennessee Titans: Hired Dick LeBeau to replace Ray Horton.
Special teams coordinators:
- Houston Texans: Hired Larry Izzo to replace Bob Ligashesky.
- New York Jets: Hired Brant Boyer to replace Bobby April.
- San Francisco 49ers: Hired Derius Swinton to replace Thomas McGaughey.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Nate Kaczor to replace Kevin O’Dea.
- Tennessee Titans: Hired Bobby April to replace Nate Kaczor.
Other 2015 head coaches with new jobs:
- Indianapolis Colts: Hired former Dolphins HC Joe Philbin as offensive line coach.
- Minnesota Vikings: Hired former Eagles interim HC Pat Shurmur as tight ends coach.
- New Orleans Saints: Hired former Dolphins HC Dan Campbell as assistant head coach and tight ends coach.
- University of Illinois: Hired former Buccaneers HC Lovie Smith as head coach.
Other 2015 OCs, DCs with new jobs:
- Baltimore Ravens: Hired former Buccaneers DC Leslie Frazier as secondary coach.
- Miami Dolphins: Reassigned former DC Lou Anarumo to defensive backs coach.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Hired former Browns OC John DeFilippo as quarterbacks coach.
- San Diego Chargers: Hired former Jaguars DC Bob Babich as linebackers coach.
- Tennessee Titans: Reassigned former OC Jason Michael to quarterbacks coach.
- University of Cincinnati: Hired former Dolphins OC Zac Taylor as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
- Washington: Hired former Colts DC Greg Manusky as outside linebackers coach.