The Cowboys are pondering a position change for free agent addition Kony Ealy, Clarence Hill Jr. of the Star-Telegram tweets. Ealy has not impressed at defensive end this summer, so he’ll get a longer look at defensive tackle.
Starting defensive tackle David Irving will serve a four-game ban to start the season and Maliek Collins‘ status is up in the air thanks to a foot injury, so Ealy could carve out a role for himself in the middle. The veteran was initially expected to fill Benson Mayowa‘s role as the team’s third defensive end, but Taco Charlton, Charles Tapper, fourth-round pick Dorance Armstrong, and the returning Randy Gregory may be ahead of him on the depth chart at this point.
Here’s more from the NFC East:
- The Eagles‘ decision to sign Christian Hackenberg has been in development for some time and wasn’t just based off of one workout, SiriusXM’s Adam Caplan tweets. The Eagles are reportedly high on Nate Sudfield as their No. 3 QB behind Carson Wentz and Nick Foles, so Hackenberg may face long odds of making the roster.
- As expected, Nigel Bradham‘s one-game suspension will void out his guarantees with the Eagles (Twitter link via Joel Corry of CBSSports.com). Bradham re-signed with the Eagles this offseason on a five-year, $40MM deal with $14MM guaranteed at signing.
- Kamar Aiken has had a great showing since signing with the Eagles so far and that should make for an interesting call when it comes to the team’s decision on their No. 6 wide receiver, Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com tweets. The Eagles inked Aiken to a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum in late July. He’ll fight to make the roster behind fellow receivers Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, Mike Wallace, Mack Hollins, and Markus Wheaton. Shelton Gibson and Bryce Treggs are also among those hoping to make the cut.
- The Giants worked out free agent defensive lineman Drew Iddings over the weekend, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle (on Twitter).
- Redskins wide receiver Robert Davis is out for the year with a broken leg.
One comment on “NFC East Notes: Cowboys, Ealy, Eagles”
The Texans must be having a particularly boring camp if a Houston Chronicle reporter is following the Giants activity.