The Chargers have agreed to terms with second-round pick Asante Samuel Jr. (Twitter link via agent David Canter). Per the terms of his slot, the Florida State cornerback will earn just over $7MM on his four-year deal.
The Bolts nabbed Samuel at No. 47 overall, though he was projected by many to go in the first round. Samuel’s lack of size may have hurt his stock, but he was a first-team All-ACC selection last year with three interceptions and two fumble recoveries in just eight games. And, in 2019, he notched 14 passes defensed.
With one down, the Chargers still have eight more draft picks to sign:
- Round 1: No. 13 Rashawn Slater, OT (Northwestern)
- Round 3: No. 77 Josh Palmer, WR (Tennessee)
- Round 3: No. 97 Tre’ McKitty, TE (Georgia)
- Round 4: No. 118 Chris Rumph II, LB (Duke)
- Round 5: No. 159 Brendan James, OT (Nebraska)
- Round 6: No. 185 (from Jaguars through Titans) Nick Niemann, LB (Iowa)
- Round 6: No. 198 Larry Rountree III, RB (Missouri)
- Round 7: No. 241 Mark Webb, S (Georgia)
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.