Joey Bosa

Joey Bosa To Debut Sunday

After missing the first four games of the season because of a hamstring strain, Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa will make his highly anticipated NFL debut Sunday, he told Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

“This has been a long time coming. I’m finally going to play my first snap. But I’m going to stay calm and treat it like another game,” said Bosa.

Joey Bosa (vertical)

With Bosa set to crack the lineup against the AFC West rival Raiders, the 1-3 Chargers will finally get a glimpse of the third overall pick in a game situation. Bosa previously missed each of the Chargers’ four preseason contests and all of training camp on account of a months-long contract battle between him and the team. The former Ohio State Buckeye and his representatives fought with San Diego over offset language and signing bonus distribution in his deal. They eventually agreed to a compromise Aug. 29, but only after publicly trading blows.

Given that Bosa just became a full participant in practice this week, the Chargers will likely limit his snap count against the Raiders, per Gehlken. For the Bolts, though, any impact from Bosa would be welcome against Oakland – which is 3-1 and in possession of one of the league’s top offenses. The Chargers have struggled defensively and are banged up at cornerback, but their Bosa-less pass rush has fared well. San Diego ranks tied for 12th in the league in sacks (nine) and third in hurries (27).

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Injury Updates: Bosa, Pouncey, Brown, Doctson

Redskins coach Jay Gruden may sit rookie wideout Josh Doctson, who is currently struggling through an Achilles injury. After having hauled in a single catch for 57 yards through two games, the first-rounder was a late scratch prior to last weekend’s game against the Giants. The injury first popped up all the way back during May’s OTAs.

“We’ve had all of the tests, and there is really nothing there that we should be concerned about from a long-term problem,” Gruden told ESPN.com’s John Keim. “It’s just, he is dealing with some pain. We don’t know why it is, but we have to try and figure out what it is and get it fixed.

“It could be a possibility or a time that we put him down for a couple more weeks or a couple more days like we’re taking him off today, probably sit him down tomorrow and see if that helps a little bit.”

Let’s check out some more injury news from around the NFL…

  • Chargers first-round pick Joey Bosa has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Saints, but the defensive end is confident that he’ll be making his debut very soon. “I’m very close,” Bosa told ESPN.com’s Eric D. Williams. “We’re getting there. We’re just being smart. There’s no point to rush someone back, and then you get hurt and you’re out for longer when we’ve got a really long season ahead of us.” The third-overall pick has been hampered by a hamstring injury.
  • Dolphins lineman Mike Pouncey will return to practice next week, and ESPN.com’s James Walker says the coaching staff is confident the veteran could play in next week’s game against the Titans. The Pro Bowl center has sat out his team’s first four games with a hip injury.
  • Texans left tackle Duane Brown has been ruled out of this Sunday’s contest against the Titans, reports Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. The Pro Bowler is recovering from an injured quad muscle.
  • In case you missed it, Bills wideout Sammy Watkins was placed on the injured reserve yesterday.

Joey Bosa Unlikely To Debut Sunday

The strained hamstring that Chargers rookie defensive end Joey Bosa has battled this month will likely prevent him from making his NFL debut this Sunday, according to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune. The Chargers, who face the Colts this week, do have a plan for when the third overall pick will crack their lineup, per Gehlken, but the earliest date could be Week 4 against New Orleans.

Joey Bosa (vertical) Thanks to a contentious, lengthy holdout over the summer, Bosa missed all of training camp and sat out each of the Chargers’ four preseason games, which placed him behind the 8-ball. The ex-Ohio State Buckeye and the Chargers fought over offset language and signing bonus distribution in Bosa’s deal before eventually agreeing to a compromise Aug. 29.

Bosa has progressed toward seeing his first pro action lately, as the 21-year-old engaged in back-to-back practices Wednesday and Thursday for the first time since early June. Before this week, the Chargers’ Aug. 30 practice was the only one he had participated in since the spring.

San Diego has started 1-1 without Bosa, a two-time All-American who combined for 51 tackles for loss and 26 sacks during his three-year college career. The Chargers’ Bosa-less defense racked up two sacks and a pair of interceptions in the team’s 38-14 win over Jacksonville last Sunday.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Joey Bosa Out Week 2, Could Miss Week 3

The strained hamstring that kept Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa from playing in their Week 1 loss to the Chiefs will also sideline him Sunday against the Jaguars. Further, Bosa isn’t a lock to play the Chargers’ Week 3 road game versus the Colts, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link).

Joey Bosa (vertical)

Nothing has gone according to plan for Bosa or the Chargers since the team selected him with the third pick in this year’s draft. The ex-Ohio State Buckeye and the Chargers engaged in a contentious battle over Bosa’s rookie contract, and he didn’t sign until Aug. 29. The two sides fought over offset language and signing bonus distribution in Bosa’s deal before eventually agreeing to a compromise.

Thanks to the length of his dispute with the Chargers, Bosa missed all of training camp and sat out each of the club’s four preseason games. The now-injured Bosa missed all of the Bolts’ practices this week before they declared him out and hasn’t yet suited up in full pads since ending his holdout.

Without Bosa, a two-time All-American who combined for 51 tackles for loss and 26 sacks during his three-year college career, the Chargers blew a 24-3 lead over the Chiefs en route to a 33-27 overtime defeat last Sunday. San Diego did sack Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith three times, but he still completed 34 of 48 passes for 363 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Major Injury Notes: D. Thomas, Bosa, Ivory

Week 1 is always a time for optimism, but it invariably brings the heartache of injury as well. We will keep track of some of the more significant injuries (or, in some cases, illnesses) right here over the course of the day.

  • Potentially bad news for Broncos fans, courtesy of ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Schefter tweets that star wideout Demaryius Thomas, who suffered a hip injury during Thursday night’s contest against Carolina, underwent an MRI on Friday that will now be sent for a second opinion. There is no word on what the first opinion was.
  • Chargers rookie defensive end Joey Bosa is week-to-week with a Grade 1 strained hamstring, as Schefter tweets. Per Schefter, Bosa has still not practiced in pads, so it could be awhile before he suits up for a regular season game.
  • Jaguars RB Chris Ivory was admitted to the hospital for an undisclosed issue last night, which is why he was deactivated for the team’s game today, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (via Twitter). Rapoport also tweets that Ivory will be reevaluated for this issue later this week, and his Week 2 status will hinge on that evaluation. Jason Cole of Bleacher Report adds (via Twitter) that Ivory is undergoing tests and observation in the hospital.
  • Schefter tweets that Dolphins center Mike Pouncey has a small fracture in his hip and is scheduled to undergo a CT scan later this week. Schefter adds that Pouncey could miss another week or two.

Chargers Move Roster To 53

The Chargers have trimmed their roster down to 53 by making the following moves:

  • OLB Ben Gardiner (Twitter link via Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune)
  • CB Trevor Williams (Twitter link via Gehlken)
  • WR Dom Williams (Twitter link via Gehlken)
  • FB Chris Swain (Twitter link via Gehlken)
  • WR Rasheed Bailey (injured)
  • QB Mike Bercovici
  • T Brett Boyko
  • RB Gus Johnson
  • S Adrian McDonald
  • ILB Shaq Petteway (injured)
  • OLB James Vaughters

Reserve/Suspended:

Exempt

  • DE Joey Bosa

Chargers’ Spanos On Joey Bosa Saga

Earlier this week, the Joey Bosa saga finally came to a close when the Chargers and the rookie’s reps compromised on a contract. As the talks dragged on, the tenor of the negotiations got uglier and uglier, including the Bolts’ unprecedented move of publicly releasing details of their contract offer. That press release raised eyebrows in the football world, but team president of football operations John Spanos says he has no regrets. John Spanos (vertical)

[RELATED: Chargers Release James Jones]

Obviously, it was a difficult decision,” Spanos told Xtra 1360 Fox Sports Radio (via ESPN.com). “Any time you’re in a tough negotiation, everything you do is a difficult decision. And let me be clear: It’s certainly never our preference to make any public comments. It’s not how we’ve operated in the past, I would say, and only [on] the rarest of occasions. In fact, I’ve probably been involved in hundreds of player negotiations and contract agreements, whether it’s helping out or leading, throughout my lifetime, and that’s the first time I’ve ever said anything public.

So that shows you how rare that is. It’s not what we prefer to do — only, I would say, when we’re forced to do it. The bottom line is if someone were to tell me that’s why we got it done, then, yeah, I would do it again, because our goal the whole time was we wanted him here. And we were going to do whatever it takes to get him here.”

Releasing the details of the offer probably rubbed Bosa the wrong way and some believe that it could give pause to rookies and free agents in the future. Spanos personally believes that free agents will not be deterred by the tenor of the Bosa negotiations and feels that sunny San Diego will continue to be a desirable landing spot for players. I can’t dispute the appeal of San Diego as a city, but I have my doubts as to whether players will turn a blind eye to the way the Bosa discussions went.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Chargers Get Roster Exemption For Joey Bosa

The Chargers announced that they’ve received a roster exemption for the recently-signed Joey Bosa, so while they technically have 76 players under contract, they are in compliance with the league’s roster requirements.

Waived

Waived/Injured:

Placed on injured reserve:

Extra Points: Bosa, 49ers, Tebow, McPhee

Joey Bosa‘s switch in lead agents helped end the stalemate between him and the Chargers, as Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes. Bosa’s camp shifted from Brian Ayrault to Todd France — each of whom work for CAA — after Ayrault rejected San Diego’s most recent offer. Because the club said it would only reduce its proposal from there, the agency decided to try a new strategy. “Good cop, bad cop,” one source told Gehlken.

Another key in ending the negotiations was the Chargers agreeing to language that would protect Bosa’s roster bonuses, according to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com (Twitter link). The former Ohio State Buckeye will receive 85% of his signing bonus in 2016, and the rest in 2017, per Breer, which represents a compromise between the two sides.

Here’s more from around the NFL:

  • The 49ers could choose to put quarterback Colin Kaepernick “on ice” in 2016 in order to ensure that his injury guarantees do not kick in, as Breer tweets. San Francisco would be employing a similar tactic used by the Redskins last year with Robert Griffin III. Kaepernick’s $11.9MM salary for the upcoming season is fully guaranteed, but a report this morning indicated that the club could still cut the sixth-year QB.
  • Roughly half of MLB will be represented at Tim Tebow‘s baseball workout tomorrow, reports Jon Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Prior to the start of the season, Tebow reportedly worked out for the Dodgers and the team showed some level of interest in him afterward. Of course, the former NFL quarterback faces an uphill climb as he hasn’t played baseball full-time since 2005.
  • The Bears face a decision on linebacker Pernell McPhee in the coming days, as Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune writes. McPhee, who is dealing with a knee injury, is currently on the active/PUP list, and if he doesn’t come off said list by Saturday, he’d be forced to miss the first six weeks of the season. Chicago isn’t saying much about McPhee’s recovery, but it doesn’t look like McPhee will be able to contribute by Week 1.
  • 2015 first-round pick Andrus Peat played primarily on the left side during his rookie year, so the Saints are now considering moving him from right guard to left guard, according to John DeShazier of the team’s website. If New Orleans does make the switch, veterans Tim Lelito and Senio Kelemete would keep competing for the right guard spot.

Chargers Sign Joey Bosa

Finally – the Joey Bosa saga is over. The Chargers announced that they have inked their first-round pick to a contract with just a couple of weeks to go before the season opener. Bosa now has 13 days to prepare for Week 1 against the Chiefs. Joey Bosa

[RELATED: Bosa’s Agent Change Led To Deal]

The Chargers gave Bosa the largest upfront signing bonus in club history, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. The two sides compromised on cash flow in years 2, 3, and 4 while the Chargers got the offset language they were seeking. The Chargers and Joey Bosa agreed to a four-year, $25.8M contract, a source tells NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport (on Twitter). He gets a $17MM signing bonus and it is all fully guaranteed.

We look forward to having Joey join us and getting him prepared as quickly as possible for the 2016 season,” said GM Tom Telesco in a press release.

The Chargers selected Bosa with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2016 draft. The Ohio State product was widely projected to be a top 10 pick in this year’s draft, but few pundits saw the Chargers pouncing on him at No. 3. While teams traded into the top two picks to select quarterbacks, the Bolts were more than happy to stay put and grab Bosa. Although it is common for the first two or three teams on the board to discuss contract quirks with prospective picks, the Bolts apparently did not do that with Bosa or his CAA reps.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.