Here are tonight’s minor moves as we get set for Steelers-Ravens..
Tonight’s minor moves..
- The Raiders announced that they have claimed kicker Giorgio Tavecchio via waivers from the Lions. In a corresponding move, Oakland waived kicker Kevin Goessling. Tavecchio will likely serve as insurance in the event that Sebastian Janikowski isn’t ready to go in Week 1.
- The Bills have claimed punter/kicker Jordan Gay off waivers from the Panthers, according to Mike Rodak of ESPN.com (on Twitter).
- According to the NFL transactions wire, the Seahawks have waived linebacker Marcus Dowtin and claimed center Patrick Lewis off waivers from the Jaguars, tweets Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times. Dowtin saw three games of action with the Giants in 2013 before being released in March.
- Safety Ty Zimmerman, receiver Andy Tanner, and tackle Ty Nsekhe were added to the Saints‘ injured reserve amidst today’s roster moves, tweets Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post.
- Rams linebacker Pat Schiller reverted to the club’s injured reserve after clearing waivers, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter).
- Jarrid Bryant, CB
- Bobby Cowan, P
- R.J. Dill, OT
- Jordan Harris, WR
- Jorgen Hus, LS
- Kadeem Jones, FB
- Johnny Millard, LB
- T.J. Moe, WR
- D.J. Morrell, OT
Additionally, linebacker Pat Schiller was waived-injured. The Rams will need to make four more cuts by 3pm tomorrow.
The NFL’s transactions wire is picking up as we approach the end of July, with notable players like Joel Dreessen and Larry English involved in roster moves today. Several teams have finalized a series of more under-the-radar moves as well, which we’ll round up right here:
- The Buccaneers have signed linebacker Jeremy Grable and offensive tackle J.B. Shugarts, according to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune (on Twitter). To help make room for the duo, the Bucs released cornerback D.J. Moore.
- Former Ravens linebacker Adrian Hamilton has signed with the Chargers, according to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego (on Twitter).
- The Saints have signed nose tackle Tyrone Ezell and linebacker Marcus Thompson, clearing roster spots for the new additions by cutting nose tackle Moses McCray and waiving outside linebacker Cheta Ozougwu with a failed physical designation. The team has the details on its newest signees in a press release.
- The Rams completed a series of roster moves today, signing four players – linebacker Pat Schiller, linebacker Lawrence Wilson, offensive tackle D.J. Morrell, and offensive tackle R.J. Dill – and cutting four others — offensive lineman Abasi Salimu, wideout Dionte Spencer, linebacker Caleb McSurdy, and linebacker Tavarius Wilson (Twitter links via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com).
- A day after being cut by the Chargers, center Nick McDonald has been claimed off waivers by the Browns, tweets Brian McIntyre. Cleveland had an opening on its 90-man roster, so no corresponding move is necessary to make room for the offensive lineman.
- One linebacker has been swapped for another in Buffalo, where the Bills signed Western Kentucky product Xavius Boyd to a contract after having waived-injured Darrin Kitchens, who is dealing with a lower body injury (Twitter links via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com).
- The Texans have waived fullback Brad Smelley and defensive end Tim Jackson, and also signed tight end Chris Coyle, according to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle (Twitter links). As ESPN.com’s Adam Caplan tweets, Jackson received the “failure to disclose physical condition” designation when he was cut.
- That “failure to disclose physical condition” designation is rarely used, but linebacker Billy Boyko also received it when he was waived by the Panthers, according to Caplan (Twitter link).
- Caplan also tweets that former Broncos safety Eric Hagg has officially been placed on the team’s reserve/retired list. We heard yesterday that Hagg had decided to retire.