The agent for D’Qwell Jackson says that his client asked for his release from the Browns and adds that his client is happy to be with the Colts, tweets Jeff Schudel of The News-Herald. Cleveland would have owed Jackson a $4MM roster bonus on March 16th but they cut him loose well in advance. This could be a case of Jackson’s agent trying to put a positive spin on things – it’s more likely that the Browns asked him to take a pay cut that was too steep for his liking.
- The Jets and Packers are among the clubs with interest in tight end John Carlson, tweets Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports. We learned earlier that Carlson, who was cut loose by the Vikings, is meeting with the Cardinals today.
- The Packers are talking to tight end Andrew Quarless about a new deal before he hits the open market on Thursday, writes Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel. Of course, there’s also uncertainty surrounding the future of fellow tight end Jermichael Finley this offseason, but bringing back Quarless, who hauled in 32 passes for 312 yards and two touchdowns, could give them more certainty at the position.
- There’s mutual interest between the Bears and linebacker D.J. Williams in working out a new deal, tweets Michael C. Wright of ESPN. The two sides are talking and that’s expected to continue through the weekend. The former University of Miami standout spent his whole career in Denver up until 2013 when he joined Chicago. Unfortunately, his season ended when he ruptured his pectoral tendon against the Giants in Week 6.
- Brandon Smith got a two-year deal from the Bills, tweets Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun. The cornerback was an exclusive rights free agent for Buffalo and accepted his offer earlier today.
- The Cowboys are interested in TCU prospect Jason Verrett, writes ESPN.com’s Calvin Watkins. The cornerback is a potential late-first round/early-second round pick, despite the fact that he is recovering from a torn labrum. ”[The doctors] feel like it’s gonna be a very short process,” TCU coach Gary Patterson said. “Everybody that’s done it has been able to be back before camp. On the high road, I think that’s what he’s anticipating. That he’ll be back before camp.”
- Steve Serby of the New York Post is less-than-thrilled about the idea of the Jets signing Michael Vick.
- Former Jaguars wide receiver Mike-Sims Walker was released by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL, tweets Adam Caplan of ESPN.