Dolphins To Activate Darren Waller From IR

The Dolphins are expected to activate Darren Waller from injured reserve for their Week 13 matchup with the Saints, per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Waller landed on injured reserve after suffering a pectoral strain in Week 7. He completed his mandatory four-game absence and was designated to return earlier this week. He participated in all three practices and is designated as questionable for Sunday’s game.

Waller’s return will boost a Dolphins tight end room that has struggled to produce this year. Other than Waller, none of Miami’s tight ends have scored a touchdown this year, and the position group as a whole has contributed just 28 receptions for 269 yards. In Waller’s three games before getting injured, he made 10 catches for 117 yards and four touchdowns.

Miami will need to clear a 53-man roster spot to complete Waller’s activation, but it is not clear who will be waived. The Dolphins have three tight ends – Julian Hill, Tanner Conner, and Greg Dulcich – on their active roster, plus fullback Alec Ingold. Head coach Mike McDaniel seems to value Hill, Conner, and Ingold’s blocking prowess, but Dulcich has been a better pass-catcher than all three since Waller went down. He has eight catches for 89 yards in three games for an average of 22.2 yards per game, more than what Hill and Conner’s combined total.

Patriots WR Stefon Diggs Has Played Through Fractured Finger

Wide receiver Stefon Diggs‘ first season in New England has gone swimmingly. The four-time Pro Bowler has emerged as quarterback Drake Maye‘s favorite target during a surprising 10-2 start for the Patriots, winners of nine in a row and currently the No. 1 seed in the AFC.

The Patriots’ decision to sign Diggs to a three-year, $69MM deal last March came after an injury-shortened campaign with the Texans. Playing his lone season in Houston, the former Viking and Bill tore his ACL in Week 8 and didn’t return.

Diggs recovered quickly enough to return for Week 1 this season, and his knee hasn’t hampered him at all during New England’s scorching start. The 32-year-old has appeared in all 12 of the Patriots’ games and piled up 61 catches on 75 targets, 679 yards, and three scores.

While Diggs’ knee hasn’t been a problem this year, that doesn’t mean he’s at full strength. A few days before the Patriots’ win over the Bengals last Sunday, Diggs told reporters that he has been playing through a fractured finger for a couple of weeks (via Mike Reiss of ESPN). That seems like a concerning injury for a pass catcher, but Diggs downplayed the severity.

“Least of my worries,” Diggs said. 

Diggs had one of his quietest games of the year in Cincinnati, which held him to two catches for 20 yards on three targets. He and the Patriots’ other main receivers (Mack Hollins, Kayshon Boutte, and Demario Douglas) largely took a backseat to tight end Hunter Henry, who led the way with seven grabs, 115 yards, and a score.

Looking to put together a 10-game winning streak for the first time since the Tom Brady-Bill Belichick era, the Patriots will head into a Week 13 meeting with the Giants on Monday. The Pats have a bye after that, which will give Diggs’ finger extra time to heal as he and the team push for a division title and the top spot in the conference.

Seahawks Eyeing Week 14 Return For Julian Love

The Seahawks are hoping to get injured safety Julian Love back from injured reserve in Week 14, according to The Athletic’s Michael Shawn-Dugar.

Love, 27, has dealt with multiple injuries this season. He played through a groin injury in Week 2 but sat out the following week with a hamstring issue. He return in Week 4 and played a full game, but further issues with his hamstring sidelined him again.

The Seahawks were initially hoping that Love would come back within a few weeks, but he suffered a setback shortly after his return to practice in Week 6. He was eventually placed on injured reserve on November 1 and is now eligible to be activated after missing four games. He has not been designated to return, but that will likely come early next week so he has time to ramp up before Seattle’s Week 14 matchup with the Falcons.

The Seahawks have primarily called on third-year safety Ty Okada to replace Love this season. Despite a 68% snap share, he ranks fifth on the team in tackles and passes defended, and his 73.3 overall grade from Pro Football Focus (subscription required) ranks 20th among all NFL safeties with at least 200 snaps.

The Seahawks have been one of the league’s best defenses this year with the third-fewest yards per rush and yards per pass in the league. Love’s return could further boost the unit, though he will have to stay healthy for the rest of the year to do so.

Rams Activate Ahkello Witherspoon From IR

With the Rams off to a 9-2 start, they’ll get back a notable defender as they vie for the No. 1 seed in the NFC. The Rams activated cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon from IR on Saturday, per a team announcement.

Owners of the NFL’s top-ranked scoring defense, the Rams’ excellence has come despite limited contributions from Witherspoon. The 30-year-old broke his scapula in Week 2 and wound up missing two and a half months.

The Rams opened Witherspoon’s 21-day practice window on Wednesday. He’ll make a quick return to play Sunday against the playoff-contending Panthers.

A former 49er, Seahawk, and Steeler, Witherspoon entered the season on his third straight one-year deal with the Rams. He was a 17-game starter in 2023 who came off the bench in eight of 13 appearances in 2024. Witherspoon worked as a starter this year before going on IR.

After losing Witherspoon, the Rams turned to Emmanuel Forbes, Cobie Durant, and Darious Williams as their top corners. Josh Wallace and Derion Kendrick are around as healthy depth. The Rams claimed Kendrick off waivers from the Seahawks after they placed in-season trade addition Roger McCreary on IR on Wednesday. The former Titan logged just one defensive snap in his first four games with L.A., though, and Witherspoon’s comeback will more than make up for his absence.

Witherspoon’s activation from IR is the first the Rams have used this year, leaving them with seven more. The team opened wide receiver Tutu Atwell‘s practice window on Wednesday, and his activation appears imminent. McCreary, safety Quentin Lake, right tackle Rob Havenstein, and tight end Tyler Higbee are candidates to return later this season.

Saints RB Alvin Kamara Has MCL Sprain, Out For Week 13

Saints running back Alvin Kamara suffered a sprained MCL in Week 12 and will miss at least one game.

Kamara went down early in last week’s loss to the Falcons. An MRI revealed he avoided a serious injury, per Nick Underhill of NewOrleans.Football, but he was still ruled out for the Saints’ Week 13 matchup with the Dolphins. The nine-year veteran should still have a chance to return this season.

2025 has been a down year for Kamara. The five-time Pro Bowler is putting up career-lows across the board with 3.6 yards per carry, 5.6 yards per reception, and 59.7 scrimmage yards per game.

Kendre Miller‘s season-ending injury in October will put rookie Devin Neal atop the Saints’ depth chart in Kamara’s absence. The sixth-round pick has only appeared in seven games this season with 29 total touches for 125 yards. In his last three years at Kansas, Neal averaged 6.0 yards per carry and scored 44 total touchdowns.

Kamara’s injury will also get Audric Estime invovled after just one appearance and three offensive snaps this year. The 2024 fifth-rounder recorded 310 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 76 carries as a rookie in Denver.

The Saints’ only other running back is Ian Wheeler, a 2023 UDFA who has yet to appear in an NFL game. He will be elevated from the practice squad for Sunday’s game and could have a game day role until Kamara’s return. New Orleans may also add a veteran to their inexperience, unproven backfield.

Cowboys Expect To Open Trevon Diggs’ Practice Window On Sunday

Out for over a month with a concussion and right knee issues, Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs is moving toward a return from IR. The team expects to open his practice window on Sunday, head coach Brian Schottenheimer announced (via Todd Archer of ESPN). Once that happens, the Cowboys will have 21 days to activate Diggs.

Now in his sixth NFL season, Diggs played the Cowboys’ first six games of 2025 and started in four before suffering a concussion in an accident at his home. He hasn’t taken the field since Oct. 12.

The Cowboys placed Diggs on IR almost two weeks after his concussion, but the move had more to do with concerns over his knee. Notably, it isn’t the same knee that Diggs injured multiple times in the past. He tore his left ACL in 2023 and required chondral graft surgery on the joint last season.

The Cowboys lost two of their first three games without Diggs to fall to 3-5-1, but the team has since won three in a row, including a Thanksgiving Day victory against the Chiefs. Dallas, whose defense got off to a woeful start this year, has undergone a few notable changes since Diggs last played.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made a pair of major acquisitions before the Nov. 4 trade deadline, acquiring defensive tackle Quinnen Williams from the Jets and linebacker Logan Wilson from the Bengals. The Cowboys have also gotten back a couple of defensive reinforcements, linebacker DeMarvion Overshown and rookie cornerback Shavon Revel, from long-term absences.

Those additions have helped the Cowboys surge into the playoff race, and they’ll hope Diggs will also have a positive impact after a rough start to the season. The two-time Pro Bowler didn’t log any interceptions or passes defensed before going on IR. Worse, Diggs allowed a shocking 154.9 passer rating – not far below a perfect mark of 158.3 – when opposing quarterbacks targeted him, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Cowboys expect Diggs’ return to come during an all-important showdown with the 7-5 Lions on Thursday, Jones said (via Jon Machota of The Athletic). Both NFC playoff contenders will enter the game with little room for error. Assuming he plays, Diggs will rejoin a cornerback group that saw Revel, DaRon Bland, and Reddy Steward lead the way in snaps in the Cowboys’ win over the Chiefs. They likely won’t have to deal with Lions No. 1 receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, who’s expected to sit out with an ankle injury.

Even if Diggs performs better during the last several weeks of the season, this may go down as his final stretch with the organization that drafted him in 2020. The Cowboys signed Diggs to a five-year, $97MM extension in July 2023, but there’s no guaranteed money on his deal beyond this season, per Over the Cap. Diggs’ ongoing injury troubles and decline in performance may lead the Cowboys to go in another direction. Releasing Diggs could help the Cowboys keep pending free agent wide receiver George Pickens, who will earn a massive raise on either the franchise tag or a long-term deal.

Lions C Frank Ragnow Fails Physical, Will Not Play In 2025

Lions center Frank Ragnow failed his physical and will not play in 2025, per a team announcement.

Detroit’s medical team found a Grade 3 hamstring strain that will prevent Ragnow from completing his comeback attempt after retiring this offseason. Head coach Dan Campbell said that Ragnow informed the team about the injury, prompting further evaluation. That revealed a more severe injury that immediately eliminated the chance of Detroit’s longtime center playing this season.

Ragnow, 29, came out of retirement after the Lions’ suffered multiple injuries along their offensive line. Left guard Christian Mahogany broke his leg in Week 9 and could be out until the new year. Center Graham Glasgow did not play on Thanksgiving due to a knee injury.

Mahogany has been replaced by Kayode Awosika, while Trystan Colon filled in for Glasgow on Thursday. If Ragnow had returned, he would have taken over at center and moved Glasgow to left guard, his spot in 2024, once he was healthy.

Ragnow would have been a boost to the Lions’ offensive line. Though the unit is not exactly struggling, the injuries have left them without their preferred options. Ragnow, a four-time Pro Bowler, has been one of the league’s best centers for the last several years. In his last five seaons, he allowed just four sacks and earned a 90.0 grade from Pro Football Focus (subscription required) three times.

Instead, the Lions will have to stick with Awosika, Colon, and Glasgow to fill their left guard and center spots. The first has only played guard, but the latter two line up at both spots, giving Detroit a few potential combinations. Rookie Miles Frazier came off the non-football injury list this week and could get a look as well. He primarily played right guard in college, but spent time at left guard in 2022 and would likely step in there.

As for Ragnow, his age indicates that he could try again in 2026, but his initial retirement was partially driven by the injuries he suffered throughout his career. His only full season came in 2020. Since his comeback was foiled by another injury, he may take it as confirmation of his initial decision.

Campbell said that nothing had been discussed regarding Ragnow’s future, per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

Nick Sirianni Backs Kevin Patullo, Will Not Change Offensive Play-Caller

Despite the Eagles’ offensive woes, head coach Nick Sirianni has no intention of taking play-calling duties away from OC Kevin Patullo.

“We’re not changing the play caller, but we will evaluate everything,” Sirianni said after Philadelphia’s 24-15 loss to the Bears (via Zach Berman of The Athletic). “It’s never just about one person. You win as a team, you lose as a team, and you try to evaluate everything, win, lose or draw and get better from it.”

But Eagles fans do not agree. Chants of “Fire Kevin” rang out at Lincoln Financial Field on Friday as Philadelphia’s offense converted only four of their 12 third downs and turned the ball over twice. The Bears finished with a massive advantage in rushing yards (281-87), number of plays (85-51), and time of possession (39:18-20:42). But Sirianni does not think Patullo is the problem.

“I know it will keep coming back to Kevin, but again, if I thought it was one thing, then you make those changes,” Sirianni said. “Obviously, it’s a lot of different things, but I don’t think it is Kevin. Now, we all have a part in it. Kevin has a part of it. I have a part of it. All the coaches have a part of it. All the players have a part of it.”

However, Patullo’s offense is the Eagles’ worst in years. Currently, the unit are ranked 19th in points and 24th in total yards, which would be the franchise’s worst finishes since 2020. That, of course, was Doug Pederson‘s last year in Philadelphia before Sirianni took over the top job. In other words, this is the Eagles’ least productive offense in the Sirianni era.

Patullo is also the Eagles’ fourth coordinator in four years. After running Sirianni’s offense for the first two years of his tenure, Shane Steichen took the Colts’ head coaching job in 2023 and was replaced by Brian Johnson. But Johnson’s offense sputtered in the second half of the season and only put up nine points in a wild card loss to the Buccaneers. Kellen Moore took over in 2024, and he put together a dominant offense that fueled the Eagles’ playoff run, especially in the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. He was hired as the Saints’ next head coach, and Patullo was promoted from pass game coordinator to OC.

As a result, Sirianni may be hoping that he can weather the storm with Patullo in the hopes that the 44-year-old coach can bounce back by the rest of the season. That would prevent Sirianni from finding another offensive coordinator and, ideally, allow Patullo to learn from his initial mistakes and put together a stronger campaign next year.

Lack Of Momentum Behind Offensive Candidates Could Shape 2026 HC Carousel

The NFL's upcoming coaching carousel lacks a Ben Johnson- or Mike Vrabel-level presence. Barely a month out, no slam dunks look to be heading to the upcoming market. The makeup of said market also figures to create some complicated decisions among ownership and, in certain situations, within front offices.

A breakdown of the NFL's offensive coordinator list does not reveal a candidate on Johnson's level or even where Shane Steichen was as a 2023 HC aspirant. Flaws and negative stock fluctuations abound among this year's OC ranks. Some of the coordinators for successful teams are unrealistic candidates, and the some of the NFL's top-shelf quarterbacks are tied to play-callers whose value has not climbed since rides on the 2025 HC carousel.

Hiring an offensive-oriented coach represents the most logical path to sustained success. A glance at recent Super Bowls highlights this path. That team's quarterback, in most cases, will not lose his play-caller if an offense-based candidate is hired. That creates vital stability. QB success has provided teams a playoff fast-pass for ages, while defense carries more volatility. Having your HC be the offensive play-caller is not a must-have, as the Eagles have shown by advancing to Super Bowls with two different OCs under CEO leader Nick Sirianni. Then again, this Eagles period also show the value of a long-running play-caller.

The performances of Kevin Patullo and Brian Johnson have underwhelmed, with the former (Jalen Hurts' fifth play-caller as a pro) commanding a cascade of boos in Philadelphia's Black Friday loss to Chicago. The value Ben Johnson has brought the Bears reinforces how a proven play-caller with leadership chops can change a franchise's direction.

Unlock Subscriber-Exclusive Articles Like This One With a Trade Rumors Front Office Subscription

BENEFITS
  • Access weekly subscriber-only articles by Sam Robinson
  • Join exclusive weekly live chats with Sam
  • Remove ads and support our writers

NFL Mailbag: Vikings, Maye, HC Candidates

This week's PFR mailbag explores the Vikings' QB outlook, Drake Maye's MVP case, some of the top 2026 head coaching candidates and more.

Jordan asks:

The Vikings look to have made the wrong bet on J.J. McCarthy. With a few reclamation-project QBs having success in recent years, what options do you think will be there for in-house competition in Minnesota come 2026?

I should probably start this by stating the obvious: it is way too early to fully declare McCarthy a bust this early into his career. He has made just six regular-season starts to date after not seeing the field at all as a rookie.

That will rightfully give McCarthy a bit of leeway overall, but it’s undeniable he hasn’t developed as hoped so far. I had relatively high expectations in his case entering the season based not on his college career but rather head coach Kevin O’Connell’s track record of getting the most out of his quarterbacks. In that sense, there’s plenty of time for things to turn around.

Unlock Subscriber-Exclusive Articles Like This One With a Trade Rumors Front Office Subscription

BENEFITS
  • Access weekly subscriber-only articles by Sam Robinson
  • Join exclusive weekly live chats with Sam
  • Remove ads and support our writers