Ndamukong Suh has long been linked to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation, but it sounds like the Lions star might actually opt to represent himself in his contract negotiations, tweets Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports. While he’d consult with others, including Roc Nation, it sounds like the defensive tackle is giving real thought to sitting across the table from the Lions without a formal agent at his side. An extension would be very complex for Suh if he wants to maximize his value and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network (on Twitter) hears that even the Lions don’t want him to enter negotiations on his own. More from around the league..
- The Seahawks gave safety Jeron Johnson a second-round tender as a restricted free agent, Garafolo tweets. Johnson, 26 in June, could garner interest elsewhere, so it’ll be interesting to see how things to this offseason.
- Former Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain is scheduled to take a free agent visit with the Bills tomorrow, Rapoport tweets. The LB has a few more visits with other clubs on his docket as well.
- Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith met with general manager Dave Gettleman earlier today to try and clear the air, a league source tells Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer. Gettleman was non-committal about Smith’s future with the team when asked about him at the scouting combine last month which didn’t sit well with the veteran.
- 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh personally scouted Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo at his pro day, writes Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. The Texans also came to watch the signal caller throw.
- The Giants will be on the hunt for running backs once free agency officially opens, explains Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News.
- Andrew Brandt of Sports Illustrated examined the nuances of the franchise tag, the transition tag, and the ripple effects they’ll have on free agency.