Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr sustained a concussion and injured ribs last night, with SI’s Austin Murphy reporting (via Twitter) Carr told a team doctor, “I just heard a crunch. I don’t know if my rib’s broken. But it hurts.”
Here’s some more links from the AFC and NFC West divisions:
- Healed from a July hamstring pull, 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree participated in his first full practice Friday. Afterward, he told reporters to expect a more impactful version of himself in 2014. According to SFGate.com’s Eric Branch, Crabtree was a “diminished” receiver last season when he came back from a torn Achilles weighing 230 pounds. Crabtree will play at approximately 215 pounds this season.
- Optimism is flowing in Broncos camp, particularly because defensive ends Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware look healthy and are gelling, according to the Coloradoan’s Arnie Stapleton. Additionally, Quanterus Smith‘s “ability to create pressure off the edge continues to impress coaches,” per the Denver Post’s Troy Renck, who says Smith is soaking up veteran advice from Ware.
- Speaking of optimism. . .Rams receiver Kenny Britt, who is being given another chance by Jeff Fisher, is 100 percent and drawing praise in camp. That’s not surprising. But an article headlined “Rams hoping Kenny Britt can be a leader” is.
- Fox Sports’ Alex Marvez paints an optimistic picture of Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, who enters a make-or-break season with a confidence boost derived from the organization’s confidence in him.
- Although it was just a second preseason game, the Chargers were humbled by the Seahawks, writes Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune.