Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said recently on ESPN’s SportsCenter that it’s possible the club will part ways with DeMarcus Ware to avoid a sizable cap hit. Meanwhile, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network (on Twitter) hears that Dallas has yet to ask Ware to take a pay cut and there has been no communication between the two sides. Here’s tonight’s look around the league..
- The Packers would like to have restricted free agent linebacker Jamari Lattimore back on the roster next season, but don’t appear ready to offer him the right-of-first-refusal tender, according to Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. With Green Bay likely willing to offer a salary closer to the minimum, Lattimore figures to test the open market.
- There’s a lot of debate over whether Saints star Jimmy Graham should be designated as a tight end or a wide receiver when it comes to the franchise tag, but Ian Rapoport of NFL.com rightfully notes that it’s a decision made by the league office, not the team.
- The Saints have reached out to running back Pierre Thomas to discuss his future with the club, writes Larry Holder of The Times-Picayune.
- Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman recently acknowledged that the club could conceivably cut ties with Steve Smith this summer and the wide receiver is less than thrilled about hearing that second hand, writes Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer.
- The Rams plan to take a wait-and-see approach with their backup quarterback situation, writes ESPN.com’s Nick Wagoner.
- Raiders free agent defensive tackle Vance Walker has signed with A3 NFL agent Tommy Sims, according to Liz Mullen of Sports Business Journal (on Twitter). He was formerly repped by 5 Star Athlete Management.
Luke Adams contributed to this post.