Larry Fitzgerald still hasn’t decided whether to play in 2018. The Cardinals, meanwhile, are still searching for their next head coach. The latter decision, apparently, will weigh heavily on the former.
“I don’t have a head coach right now so there’s a lot going on,” Fitzgerald told the Golf Channel (video link). “I’m going to take some time to figure it out. Our owner and president Michael Bidwill and General Manager Steve Keim are out right now interviewing head coaches. I’m interested to see what’s going to happen. I’ll make a decision shortly after I would imagine.”
As shown on PFR’s Head Coaching Tracker, the Cardinals have cast a wide net in their search:
- Keith Armstrong, special teams coordinator (Falcons): Interviewed on 1/8
- James Bettcher, defensive coordinator (Cardinals): Interviewed on 1/3
- John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach (Eagles): Interviewed 1/5
- Brian Flores, linebackers coach (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/6
- Mike Munchak, offensive line coach (Steelers): Interviewed on 1/7
- Matt Patricia, defensive coordinator (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/6
- Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator (Eagles): Interviewed on 1/5
- Pat Shurmur, offensive coordinator (Vikings): Interviewed on 1/5
- Steve Wilks, defensive coordinator (Panthers): Interviewed on 1/10
If the hire is not to Fitzgerald’s liking, he might opt to spend his time on the golf course rather than the gridiron in 2018. The wide receiver did not indicate which candidate is his favorite, but one has to assume that he would like to see Bettcher promoted to the top job.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.