The Steelers have undergone a meticulous search to find outgoing general manager Kevin Colbert‘s replacement. The list of preferred candidates has reportedly been finalized.
Pittsburgh has concluded their interviews for the position, per Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The team initially met with 16 executives representing a noteworthy cross-section of internal and external personnel. That list was then narrowed down to six candidates, each of whom received a second look.
Included among the finalists are Brandon Hunt and Omar Khan. The former has worked in Pittsburgh on two separate occasions, the most recent stint beginning in 2010; he is currently the team’s pro scouting director. Hunt has also received interest for a significant front-office role in Philadelphia. The latter, meanwhile, has been with the Steelers since 2001, working his way up to the role of vice president of football and business administration and generating interest on a number of occasions from other teams during previous GM hiring cycles.
The other second interviewees come from outside the organization: Ryan Cowden, John Spytek and Andy Weidl, who work in the player personnel departments for the Titans, Buccaneers and Eagles, respectively. The other external name to be given notable consideration is Doug Whaley, who began his front office career with the Steelers before a stint as the Bills’ GM and, most recently, a position with the re-booted XFL.
Dulac notes that it remains to be seen if the six-name list is reduced even further before a hire is made. He adds that there is still “no specific timeframe” for when the new GM will be named.
Here is the complete breakdown of the Steelers’ search:
- Morocco Brown, college scouting director (Colts): Interviewed
- Ran Carthon, director of player personnel (49ers): Interviewed
- Ryan Cowden, vice president of player personnel (Titans): Conducted second interview
- Ed Dodds, assistant general manager (Colts): Interviewed 2/4
- Joe Hortiz, director of player personnel (Ravens): Interviewed
- Brandon Hunt, pro scouting director (Steelers): Conducted second interview
- Omar Khan, vice president of football and business administration (Steelers): Conducted second interview
- Dan Morgan, assistant general manager (Panthers): Interviewed
- Jerry Reese, former general manager (Giants): Interviewed
- Louis Riddick, former director of pro personnel (Eagles): Interviewed
- Rick Spielman, former general manager (Vikings): Interviewed
- John Spytek, director of player personnel (Buccaneers): To conduct second interview
- Andy Weidl, vice president of player personnel (Eagles): Conducted second interview
- Doug Whaley, vice president of player personnel (XFL): Conducted second interview
- John Wojciechowski, co-director of player personnel (Packers): Interviewed
- JoJo Wooden, director of player personnel (Chargers): Interviewed