While there has been plenty of speculation about the top two picks in this year’s draft – and specifically whether the top two quarterbacks will be picked in those spots – the Jaguars‘ third overall selection hasn’t been discussed nearly as much. In the view of Florida pass rusher Dante Fowler Jr., there won’t be much intrigue or surprise when it comes to that No. 3 pick — Fowler said today that he thinks he fits the Jags’ scheme perfectly, and would be surprised if the team doesn’t draft him (Twitter link via John Oehser of Jaguars.com).
While we wait to see whether Fowler’s prediction turns out to be right, let’s check out a few more items from around the AFC….
- Fowler is one candidate to be the top defensive player to come off the board later this month, but USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams figures to be in that mix as well. Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports (via Twitter) that Williams is making a pre-draft visit to the Titans this week.
- Andre Holmes is signing his RFA tender with the Raiders, meaning he’ll officially come off the market. Per Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com (via Twitter), the Browns had some interest in Holmes, but nothing materialized there, particularly after the club added Dwayne Bowe.
- Pointing out that Alex Mack‘s contract has an opt-out clause after the 2015 season, Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com wonders if that will affect the Browns‘ draft plans. Fellow lineman Joe Thomas tells Grossi that he thinks Mack will probably opt out next year, even if it’s just to sign a new deal with the Browns.
- We previously heard that South Carolina running back Mike Davis would visit the Patriots, and Ian Rapoport of NFL.com adds (via Twitter) that Davis will also meet with the Colts this week.
- According to Rapoport (via Twitter), the Patriots are working out linebackers Denzel Perryman (Miami) and Paul Dawson (TCU).
- Florida running back Matt Jones, who is expected to be a second- or third-day pick, had dinner with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert, tweets Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.
- Wilson provides another draft update, tweeting that the Ravens have a private workout on their schedule for Florida interior offensive lineman Max Garcia.