After predictably non-committal responses in his post-game press conference yesterday, Browns head coach Mike Pettine said today that “it’s natural to lean the other way” when considering who his starting quarterback should be moving forward (per ESPN.com’s Pat McManamon) The “other way” in this case is, of course, Johnny Manziel, whom Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland Plain Dealer believes will get the nod over the struggling Brian Hoyer in next week’s matchup against Cincinnati.
Now for some more links from around the league:
- Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com writes that the Ravens expect Dennis Pitta to return in 2015 and that his second major hip injury will not force him into retirement.
- Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall supports quarterback Jay Cutler, but Marshall agrees with reports that the team is probably experiencing buyer’s remorse for Cutler’s contract, according to Michael C. Wright of ESPN.com.
- The Jets will work out cornerback Keith Lewis tomorrow, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (writing for the National Football Post).
- Rick Stroud of the Tampa Times writes that Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith will re-evaluate whether Josh McCown or Mike Glennon should be the bridge to the franchise quarterback that many believe the team will select with its first pick in next year’s draft. Stroud notes that Glennon, at least, could show enough in the season’s final three weeks to generate some trade interest, and an Associated Press report suggests that Tampa Bay could indeed turn to Glennon down the stretch.
- The Eagles‘ poor offensive showing against Seattle naturally generated a great deal of conversation regarding the team’s quarterback situation, especially with Nick Foles‘ return nearing, writes Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer. However, head coach Chip Kelly said simply, “I have no updates on Nick.”
- Like its division rivals, Washington has a quarterback dilemma on its hands, but Gary Mihoces of USA Today writes that head coach Jay Gruden will wait for an update on Colt McCoy‘s neck sprain before naming a starter for Week 15.
- Jason Fitzgerald of OverTheCap.com looks at the players who saw their stock drop in Week 14, including, of course, Hoyer.