Things did not go according to plan for the Cowboys in 2015, but owner Jerry Jones is not about to start from scratch. In a radio interview on Tuesday, Jones explained that he isn’t looking to overhaul the roster this offseason.
“Change just for change’s sake? You’re not going to have that because I too believe that we’re closer than this record indicates,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan, according to Drew Davison of the Star Telegram.
However, Jones went on to indicate that there would be natural roster turnover and implied that there could be a few changes to the coaching staff. However, he certainly didn’t sound like he was going to make any significant changes on the coaching front. So, the Cowboys don’t sound intent on breaking the five-year, $30MM extension given to Jason Garrett after last season, nor will they break off the multi-year extensions handed to offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.
It’s been a trying season for Dallas thanks in no small part to the absence of Tony Romo. Without the quarterback in the lineup, the Cowboys went 1-10 on the year and they’re eagerly awaiting his return in 2016. There’s some news on that front as well, as a source tells Ed Werder of ESPN.com (on Twitter) that Romo will have scans done on his collarbone next week as the team explores the option of surgery. For his part, Jones said in his radio hit that Romo will not have a plate inserted unless the healing process slows, Todd Archer of ESPN.com tweets. Jones added that the way Romo has healed so far likely means the QB will not have surgery (link).