“The agent has said … at some juncture during this course he will show up here,” Dorsey said. “I haven’t talked to Eric one on one about when he’s going to show up. Knowing what a prideful professional he is, I think he will show up at the appropriate time.”
Dorsey and the Chiefs weren’t able to work out an extension with the two-time All-Pro safety, and Berry is among a few high-profile Chiefs not participating in training camp. Berry’s absence leaves the Chiefs with only Ron Parker back from their strong core of safeties from 2015, a group that included since-retired Husain Abdullah and current Cardinal Tyvon Branch.
Berry has yet to sign his $10.86MM franchise tender and as late as July 26, the 27-year-old defender was not expected to report to camp. Since he hasn’t signed the tender, he’s not obligated to do so, leaving the Chiefs thin at safety.
Here’s more from the Chiefs and their division rivals.
- Dorsey, though, was confident that Jamaal Charles would be ready by Week 1, with the fourth-year GM’s stance on Justin Houston was much murkier, according to Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star. Dorsey referred to Charles as “ahead of schedule” despite the running back undergoing knee surgery last October, and he sees the eighth-year starter practicing within a couple of weeks. As for Houston, Dorsey did not want to offer a prospective return date like he did with Charles. After undergoing knee surgery in February, Houston is expected to miss the start of the season.
- Nick Foles‘ deal is worth $1.25MM this season, with no signing bonus included, Terez Paylor of the Star reports. However, the fifth-year quarterback will earn a $200K roster bonus if he makes the 53-man team, as he’s expected to. The Chiefs hold a team option for Foles, who would see his price rise significantly if the Chiefs pick it up. At a $10.4MM base, Foles’ 2017 salary seems contingent on him becoming the starter. Since that’s not in the Chiefs’ plans as of now, with Alex Smith signed through 2018, it’s unlikely Kansas City picks up that option.
- Joey Bosa‘s camp made the last offer in the edge defender’s impasse with the Chargers, putting the ball in San Diego’s court, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk tweets. The sides are still believed to be haggling over offset language and the structure of Bosa’s signing bonus.
- Trevor Siemian has looked the best this offseason for the Broncos, per Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link). But sources within the organization informed him the team will likely start Mark Sanchez in Week 1 due to his experience. However, the Broncos won’t be afraid to make a switch to Siemian if he continues to show them more than seventh-round picks typically do. Siemian is slated to play the second quarter of the Broncos’ preseason opener on Thursday.
- Projected to be the Broncos’ right guard starter after moving from right to left tackle last year, Ty Sambrailo is now expected to miss the preseason due to an elbow injury he sustained in late July, according to Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post. The Broncos are thin behind Sambrailo after losing starters Evan Mathis (in free agency) and Louis Vasquez (cut) from their Super Bowl championship lineup, placing Sambrailo and Max Garcia in at guard. But the team is now using Darrion Weems, a fifth-year player but one who hasn’t suited up for a game since doing so with the 2013 Cowboys, in relief. Swing tackle Michael Schofield is also working sporadically at right guard in Sambrailo’s stead.