NFC East Rumors: Cousins, Redskins, Cowboys

More bad news on the Kirk Cousins front. Dianna Russini of ESPN.com (Twitter links) hears that there isn’t a real price that will make the Redskins quarterback happy. The two sides, she adds, are at a point where they need each other but don’t want each other.

This comes on the heels of an Adam Schefter report indicating that a deal between now and mid-July is unlikely. Although there is an improved tone in talks, there apparently hasn’t been much in the way of forward progress. But, if Cousins is truly unhappy with the Redskins, then the problem is much more serious than just a disagreement over money.

Here’s more from the NFC East:

  • After converting to defense in 2016, quarterback Jameill Showers is working to make the Cowboys‘ roster as a safety. He faces competition from players with more experience in the secondary, but so far the early reviews for him are positive. “I’m really happy with what Showers has done,” Cowboys secondary coach Joe Baker told Charean Williams of Pro Football Talk. “He’s turned his body from a quarterback body into a defensive back body, which looks a lot different. You can tell he looks slimmer. He’s moving a lot better. The whole athleticism part of it is so much different at that position, and so I’m really proud of how he’s worked. He’s still got a ways to go, but movement-wise in terms of his backpedaling, changing direction, all those things we do as defensive backs, he’s really doing a nice job.”
  • The Cowboys worked out wide receiver Marquez North on Monday, according to a source who spoke with Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle (on Twitter).

Chiefs Notes: GM Search, Hali, Dorsey

Here’s a look at the Chiefs:

  • It’s clear that coach Andy Reid is running the Chiefs organization based on the names that have come up early in the team’s GM search, Tom Pelissero of USA Today tweets. Pelissero’s comment came after KC requested an interview with George Paton, though the Viking assistant GM turned down the opportunity to be considered. Pelissero rightly notes that Paton should be in the running again for GM jobs in January. By that point, there could be better jobs available.
  • The Chiefs’ interview with Titans Director of Player Personnel Ryan Cowden will take place on Wednesday, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Cowden is one of a handful of outside names to come up in the Chiefs’ GM search. To keep track of all candidates under consideration in Kansas City, check out PFR’s Chiefs GM search tracker.
  • Count Chiefs veteran linebacker Tamba Hali among those who were not pleased with the firing of GM John Dorsey, as Conor Orr of NFL.com writes. “From a subjective opinion, I wasn’t too pleased,” Hali said on NFL Network. “I’m really fond of John. Mr. Dorsey, he’s done a tremendous job since he’s been with the organization so everything that happened the past week really caught a lot of us off guard. But I’m sure the Hunt family knows exactly what they’re doing with the re-signing of our coach Andy Reid. I think everything will be fine but Mr. Dorsey will be missed with the Chiefs.” Hali, who has been with the Chiefs since being drafted by the team in 2006, is under contract with the team for two more seasons.
  • Despite his denials, it sounds like ESPN’s Louis Riddick is in the running for the Chiefs’ GM job.

Rams, Johnson Won’t Sign Long-Term Deal

Last week, we heard that the odds of an extension for the Rams and Trumaine Johnson are “extremely slim.” Now, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com hears (on Twitter) that there is “nothing close” between the two parties and flatly says that “no long-term deal will get done.” Trumaine Johnson (vertical)

[RELATED: NFL Pushes Back Deadline To Sign Franchise Players]

Without a new deal, Johnson will play out the 2017 season on his one-year, $16.742MM franchise tender. This is the second straight year that the Rams have used the franchise tag on Johnson, though their actions have made it clear that they do not see him as a franchise player. The Rams seriously considered trading Johnson this offseason, though talks with teams like the Browns and Saints did not yield the kind of offers that they were seeking.

Johnson’s $16.742MM salary currently has him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL on a per-year basis. After a season in which he graded out as Pro Football Focus’ 26th-best cornerback, one could argue that he’s drastically overpaid. The Rams probably weren’t crazy about that price tag, but they were also unwilling to lose a starting cornerback for the second consecutive offseason. Last year, the Rams franchised Johnson and allowed Janoris Jenkins to sign with the Giants in free agency.

No Deal In Sight For Steelers, Le’Veon Bell

There’s no deal in sight right now for the Steelers and Le’Veon Bell, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. Both sides remain motivated to get an extension done, but it could “go either way,” in Schefter’s estimation. Le'Veon Bell (vertical)

[RELATED: Latest On Redskins, Kirk Cousins]

It’s expected that there will be a push around the time of the July 17 deadline, Schefter writes. That’s typically the case when it comes to extensions for franchised players. Often times, talks will stall but the deadline will spur action.

Despite the off-the-field headaches from Bell, the running back has been a major part of the Steelers’ success in recent years. In 2016, Bell missed three games due to suspension, but he was as lethal as ever when he was on the field. Bell ran for 1,268 yards off of 261 carries, matching a career-high of 4.9 yards per attempt. He was also used frequently in the receiving game as he caught 75 passes for 616 yards. When averaged out on a per-game basis, his 2016 numbers actually bested his 2014 effort, a season which garnered him a First-Team All-Pro selection.

If Bell and the Steelers cannot work out a long-term deal, he will play out the 2017 season on a one-year, $12.12MM deal. Running backs don’t command as much money on the open market as, say, quarterbacks, but Bell could still do well for himself as a free agent next spring. When free agency opens in 2018, he’ll be just one month past his 26th birthday.

Latest On Redskins, Kirk Cousins

A long-term deal for Kirk Cousins and the Redskins is still viewed as a long shot, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. There has been an “improved tone” between the two sides, Schefter writes, but there apparently hasn’t been much progress. Kirk Cousins (Vertical)

[RELATED: Brian Quick Must Impress In Camp To Make Redskins]

It would cost the Redskins more than $34MM to use the franchise tag on Cousins for a third time in 2018, so there’s definitely incentive for them to get a long-term deal done. At the same time, Cousins is very comfortable with betting on himself, so he is not sweating things out. It is believed that the quarterback will push for $50-60MM in guaranteed money to get an extension done, a sum that roughly represents the money he would earn through franchise tags in 2017 and 2018. Even the less costly transition tag in 2018 ($28MM) would still give Cousins a projected $52MM over the next two years, so that $50-60MM ask makes plenty of sense.

Recently, the NFL pushed back the deadline for teams to sign franchise players to long term deals, so the to sides will have until July 17 to hammer out a new pact. Typically, the franchise deadline is on July 15, but the NFL bumped up the date since it falls on a Saturday this year.

Louis Riddick Is Candidate For Chiefs GM

ESPN commentator and former NFL executive Louis Riddick is a candidate for the Chiefs general manager position despite his denial on Sunday, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. Although Kansas City didn’t contact Riddick himself — meaning his denial was technically accurate — a source tells Florio the club has indeed reached out to Riddick’s representation.

[RELATED: Chiefs GM Search Tracker]

Several reasons may have lead Riddick to issue his public denial, Florio speculates. For one, Riddick may not have communicated the Chiefs’ interest to his employers at ESPN, which could potentially complicate matters. Second, ESPN’s reporters may have been disappointed they didn’t land the Riddick news given that he’s currently employed at the network (Ian Rapoport of NFL.com initially reported Kansas City’s interest in Riddick).

A candidate for the 49ers’ GM job earlier this year, Riddick has worked at ESPN for nearly four years. Prior to becoming an analyst, Riddick served in the Redskins and Eagles personnel departments. The 48-year-old played for the 49ers, Falcons, and Browns during his NFL career.

Riddick is the fifth candidate to be linked to the Chiefs vacancy, joining incumbent co-directors of player personnel Mike Borgonzi and Brett Veach, Titans director of player personnel Ryan Cowden, and Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer.

NFC North Rumors: Vikings, Bears, Packers

Vikings wideout Michael Floyd will only receive a one-day jail sentence for violating the terms of his probation, and that fact alone is considered a “huge win,” a source tells Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. Floyd will also serve the remaining five days of his house arrest, but as Florio writes, Floyd could have conceivably forced to spend more time in jail, either on a revamped or altogether new sentence. The 27-year-old will begin his punishment this evening, meaning he’ll be ready for action by the time training camp rolls around. In a statement, Vikings general manager Rick Spielman indicated the club will continue to support Floyd, who is still expected to be hit with a league-imposed suspension.

Here’s more from the NFC North:

  • Given that veteran tight end Zach Miller only has one year left on his contract, the Bears could potentially release him this summer in favor of the younger Daniel Brown, as Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune speculates. Miller, 32, reached career-highs in receptions and yards a season ago despite missing six games with injury. He’s still recovering from the foot ailment that cost him those contests, and if Chicago is worried about his ability to remain healthy, it could conceivably cut bait, saving north of $1.8MM in the process. Free agent signee Dion Sims and second-round pick Adam Shaheen are Bears roster locks, meaning Miller, Brown, MyCole Pruitt, and Ben Braunecker could be competing for one spot.
  • The Packers had been working on a deal for Lance Kendricks even while talking with other tight ends this spring, and were going to sign Kendricks regardless of whether they agreed to terms with Martellus Bennett or Jared Cook, according to Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. Bennett was the Packers’ ultimate choice, of course, and finding two tight ends was an offseason goal for head coach Mike McCarthy, who considers TE an exceedingly valuable position in the vein of quarterback or edge rusher.
  • In case you missed it, Vikings assistant general manager George Paton declined to be interviewed for the Chiefs’ GM vacancy, citing a “variety of reasons.” Paton was also in consideration for the GM positions in Indianapolis and San Francisco earlier this year.

Falcons Owner: Devonta Freeman Extension Coming Soon

Extension talks between the Falcons and running back Devonta Freeman have seemingly progressed smoothly, and given that Atlanta reportedly believes a new Freeman deal could be in place by training camp, it’s perhaps unsurprising that franchise owner Arthur Blank became the latest member of the club’s management to express confidence a long-term pact will be completed.Devonta Freeman (vertical)

“I know that [general manager] Thomas [Dimitroff] is working hard with him and his agent (Kristin Campbell),” Blank said on 92.9 The Game (link via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com). “I feel very confident that we’ll be able to work out something with him for a long-term solution, fairly soon I think. It’s just a matter of timing.

You can’t do all these big deals all at once; not even for financial reasons but they take time. … The relationship we have with the player is critical. It was with Desmond [Trufant]. It will definitely be that way with Devonta. It will be that way in the future with any of our other players as they come up.”

Negotiations between Freeman and Atlanta have seemingly been enveloped by cooperation on both sides, as the only comment from either party that was even mildly rancorous — Freeman’s notion that he’d be seeking “elite money” — has since been walked back. Freeman has indicated that he won’t request a trade, won’t hold out, and is willing to wait until next spring for talks to resume, while Dimitroff has suggested a Freeman extension is an important item on the Falcons’ itinerary.

Based on his production, Freeman should be able to target a contract in the $7-8MM per year range, akin to that of LeSean McCoy or Doug Martin. Freeman, 25, has earned Pro Bowl nods in each of the past two seasons, and averaged 1,068 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns during that span. He’s also been highly effective in the passing game, where he averaged 64 receptions and 520 yards from 2015-16.

Details On Jeremy Maclin’s Ravens Contract

When Jeremy Maclin‘s two-year, $11MM contract with the Ravens was first announced, Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports indicated the deal didn’t contain much “funny money,” suggesting the accord was a fairly straightforward pact. While that’s true, the structure of the contract will still allow Baltimore to escape the deal after the 2017 campaign with little dead money accelerating onto its cap.Jeremy Maclin (vertical)

Maclin received a $5MM signing bonus, according to Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com, meaning $2.5MM will be prorate onto the Ravens’ salary cap in both 2017 and 2018. For the upcoming season, Maclin’s base salary will be only $1MM, meaning he’ll take home $6MM in year one of his new contract. In 2018, however, Maclin’s salary will increase to $4MM, $2MM of which is guaranteed for injury, per Hensley. Additionally, Baltimore holds a $1MM roster bonus on Maclin that must be exercised by the third day of the 2018 league year.

In sum, Maclin’s cap charges will be $3.5MM and $7.5MM over the next two seasons. If the 29-year-old struggles again in 2018 as he did with the Chiefs in 2016, the Ravens could move on relatively easily. Assuming he’s healthy, Baltimore could cut ties after the 2017 season with only $2.5MM in dead accelerating onto its cap (against a savings of $5MM).

Photo courtesy of Pro Football Rumors on Instagram.

Saints May Try To Recoup Portion Of Nick Fairley’s Contract

The Saints have begun to examine ways to recoup a portion of the money already paid to defensive tackle Nick Fairley after placing him on the non-football injury list earlier today, according to Josh Katzenstein of NOLA.com. Doctors ruled a heart condition won’t allow Fairley to play in 2017.Nick Fairley

The NFI allows a club to withhold a player’s salary, and though most teams opt not to use such a punishment, clubs certainly hold that right. In many cases, such as the 2016 standoff between Desmond Bryant and the Browns, the two sides will negotiate a lower salary in lieu of a complete recoup.

While the Saints could try to work out a similar arrangement with Fairley, the more pressing matter between the two parties is Fairley’s signing bonus. Fairley received an $8MM bonus as part of a $9MM overall guarantee, and that bonus has likely already been paid. It’s unclear if New Orleans will be able to go after some or all of that money, but Katzenstein reports it’s “premature to speculate” about exactly what course of action the Saints may take.