Dolphins’ Darren Waller Will Debut In Week 4

Dolphins tight end Darren Waller will finally make his return to the NFL on Sunday against the Jets.

Head coach Mike McDaniel said on Saturday (via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald) that the 33-year-old “looks firmly ready to contribute, which is why he will play in the game.”

Waller came out of retirement this offseason to replace Jonnu Smith after he was traded to the Steelers. McDaniel also noted that the 6-foot-6 tight end would add some much-needed size to Miami’s group of pass-catchers.

Waller spent most of training camp ramping up after more than a year away from the field. He was activated from the physically unable to perform list in late August but suffered a hip strain before the regular season.

The Dolphins offense has struggled to start the year with minimal production from tight ends Julian Hill and Tanner Conner. Smith proved with his breakout 2024 that the position isn’t completely ignored in McDaniel’s offense, and the team is hoping that Waller can replicate some of his impact. Waller’s size should help in the red zone, but it’s worth noting that he only has 20 career touchdowns across 63 starts with only one season with more than three scores.

Miami’s offense could make another change on Sunday after an early-season competition at right guard following an injury to Week 1 starter James Daniels. Kion Smith took over after Daniels and started the next two games, but was benched last week for Daniel Brunskill. Former Patriots first-rounder Cole Strange has also taken first-team reps at guard this week and could factor into the picture, giving Miami multiple alternates if their starter – likely Brunskill, per Jackson – falters.

Patriots Not Punishing RB Rhamondre Stevenson For Fumbles

SEPTEMBER 27: Vrabel said on Friday (via Doug Kyed of the Boston Herald) that Stevenson is not “on some sort of discipline,” suggesting that he may maintain his normal workload after all. Vrabel indicated that Stevenson may not get the official start, but he is not being benched outright, either.

SEPTEMBER 25: Patriots running back Rhamondre Stevenson led his position with seven fumbles last year, and his ball security issues seem to have continued into 2025.

The five-year veteran fumbled twice in Sunday’s loss to the Steelers, which is likely to reduce his workload in the short-term, per ESPN’s Dan Graziano. That will “help the coaches make a point to the rest of the team about accountability,” an especially important precedent for Mike Vrabel to establish after his predecessor, Jerod Mayo, struggled to maintain the support of his players.

A downgrade for Stevenson would result in more action for Antonio Gibson and rookie TreVeyon Henderson. Gibson has played just 34 snaps through three games and is trending towards career-low production, primarily due to Henderson taking over his RB2 role. However, the second-round pick has received fewer opportunities than expected to start the year with just 19 rushing attempts, though his 11 receptions lead the running back room.

Henderson clearly profiles as the future of New England’s backfield and only fumbled twice across four years and 590 carries in college, so it would not be surprising to see him take on a much bigger role in Week 4. However, Graziano cautions that changes to the running back snap distribution may not be permanent.

“The goal with Stevenson is to get him past this problem so he can be a big contributor on offense — not to cast him aside as punishment,” Graziano writes.

The Patriots’ willingness to be patient with Stevenson may stem from their financial commitment to the 27-year old. He signed a four-year, $36MM extension before the 2024 season and still has $3.25MM in guaranteed salary in 2026, per OverTheCap, so the team is likely hoping to keep him for at least another year. However, Stevenson’s fumbling issues seem to be chronic, and continuing to turn the ball over will not allow him to last long under Vrabel.

Jets QB Justin Fields To Play In Week 4

Jets head coach Aaron Glenn announced the quarterback Justin Fields had cleared concussion protocol and would return to the field in Week 4.

“Justin is playing,” said Glenn (via SNY’s Connor Hughes).

Fields sustained the concussion after a poor start against the Bills in Week 2. He was sidelined for a week of practice and the Jets’ next game, but returned as a full participant this week. After starting last Sunday, veteran Tyrod Taylor will return to his backup role.

New York still scored 27 points against the Buccaneers without Fields, but the offense should have more upside with him in the lineup. He will get an exploitable matchup right away against a Dolphins defense that has allowed opposing quarterbacks to throw for a league-high 128.9 passer rating this year. The unit is also one of three in the NFL that has not forced a turnover so far this year.

Fields’ debut as a Jet was one of the best games of his career, and the team will be hoping he can quickly return to that level. He showed off a rapport with former Ohio State teammate Garrett Wilson on an early touchdown connection before scoring twice on the ground himself in the second half. He also limited negative plays, taking just one sack and avoiding any turnovers.

A repeat performance in Miami could go a long way to steady a Jets team that has started the season 0-3. Their defense, however, will be without edge rusher Jermaine Johnson for a second week in a row due to an ankle injury, per ESPN’s Rich Cimini. He returned from last year’s Achilles tear in time for the season opener, but didn’t have much of an impact before going down in Week 2. Rookie Tyler Baron saw his playing time increase in Week 3 and will likely have a similar role on Sunday.

Bucs’ Tristan Wirfs, Chris Godwin Expected To Return In Week 4

SEPTEMBER 27: Wirfs hinted that he would take the field in Week 4 with a social media post, per ESPN’s Jenna Laine, while her colleague Adam Schefter confirms that Wirfs, Godwin, and Baker Mayfield should all play. Mayfield has been dealing with a biceps injury,, but participated in practice every day this week.

SEPTEMBER 26: The Buccaneers offense is expected to get a major boost in Week 4 with both left tackle Tristan Wirfs and wide receiver Chris Godwin on track to make their 2025 debuts.

Godwin practiced in full on Wednesday, had a planned rest day on Thursday, and returned to the field on Friday, per Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. Wirfs had been limited for the last few weeks before an upgrade to full participation on Thursday. Both are officially listed as questionable for Sunday’s matchup with the Eagles.

Godwin is coming off a season-ending ankle injury in 2024, while Wirfs underwent knee surgery in July. Tampa Bay opted not to place either on the physically unable to perform list to start the season, allowing them to ramp up over the first three weeks. Had they been on the PUP list, they would have been ineligible to practice until after Week 4 and would likely need a few more weeks to be game-ready.

Both returns couldn’t come at a better time for a Buccaneers offense that is dealing with injuries at wide receiver and along their offensive line. Mike Evans went down with a hamstring injury in Week 3 and will miss multiple games, while Tampa Bay has already started eight different offensive linemen this season. RG Cody Mauch and RT Luke Goedeke are on injured reserve, which has brought Luke Haggard and Charlie Heck into the starting lineup.

Godwin may still be on a snap count when he returns, but this is Wirfs’ third week of practice, which could position him to assume a full-time role right away. The Buccaneers could then move Graham Barton to center and Ben Bredeson to left guard, per Stroud, getting multiple players back to their natural positions.

Patriots DC Terrell Williams Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer

Patriots head coach Mike Vrabel announced Friday that defensive coordinator Terrell Williams has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Williams stepped away from the team in May due to an undisclosed health issue but returned to New England for training camp. He had to leave once again before Week 2, with inside linebackers coach Zak Kuhr taking on play-calling duties.

Williams, 51, is undergoing treatment and consulting with specialists, ESPN.com’s Mike Reiss adds. Although Williams is expected to remain around the team as much as possible during his treatment process, Vrabel understandably did not offer a timeline for when the first-time DC could return to full-time duty.

Vrabel hired Williams after the assistant had spent a season with the Lions, but the two had an extensive history working together in Tennessee. Williams was Vrabel’s defensive line coach from 2018-22, covering the HC’s first five seasons on staff, and rose to assistant HC in 2023.

Following Vrabel’s January 2024 Titans dismissal, Williams caught on as the Lions’ D-line coach and defensive run-game coordinator. Vrabel’s return led to Williams’ first DC opportunity — at any level — in January. Williams has been an NFL assistant since 2012 and has been in coaching since 1998. The Pats only interviewed two candidates — Williams and Dolphins OLBs coach Ryan Crow — for the job, one Vrabel filled less than two weeks after being hired as HC.

This is a hard business; this is tough,” Vrabel said, via Reiss. “When you do this, you have to have people that you trust implicitly, that are loyal. He’s been that. He has an ability to reach everybody, and it always kept me in perspective.

Kuhr worked on Vrabel’s Titans staff from 2020-23, serving as a defensive assistant. He held the same role with the Giants last season. Far less experienced than Williams, Kuhr has spent time in the offseason and in-season calling the shots on defense. The Patriots, who have missed All-Pro cornerback Christian Gonzalez to open the season, rank 18th in scoring defense and 17th in yards allowed. The Gonzalez-less unit has struggled against the pass, ranking 30th. The third-year CB is expected to make his 2025 debut Sunday.

Vinny DePalma, a Jerod Mayo hire retained this offseason, has taken on more responsibility with Kuhr’s linebacking crew during Williams’ time away. DePalma serves as a defensive assistant in New England.

Sam Robinson contributed to this post.

Packers To Reassess Zach Tom After Week 5

11:26am: Belton will be unavailable in Week 4 after suffering an ankle injury in Wednesday’s practice, according to head coach Matt LaFleur (via ESPN’s Rob Demovsky). That will likely position Kinnard to start at right tackle with Morgan likely continuing at left guard in Banks’ absence.

9:56am: Packers right tackle Zach Tom is unlikely to take the field for Sunday night’s showdown with the Cowboys, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Tom suffered an oblique injury in Week 1 that sidelined him for one game. He returned in Week 3 only to reaggravate the injury on the first snap. He has not participated in practice this week.

Green Bay is planning to reassess Tom’s oblique after their Week 5 bye in the hopes that he can quickly return to the field and ramp up for the team’s next game vs. the Bengals, per Schefter.

The Packers have tried three players at right tackle in Tom’s absence to varying amounts of success. Former Eagle Darian Kinnard and rookie Anthony Belton both stepped in after Tom went down in Week 1. Belton got the start in Week 2 and replaced Tom in Week 3, with Kinnard getting snaps in both games. The Packers also put 2024 first-round pick Jordan Morgan at right tackle for a handful of snaps in Week 3.

Belton was limited in practice on Wednesday before missing Thursday’s session, so Green Bay may rely on Kinnard and Morgan in Week 4 vs. Cincinnati, though the latter may be needed to replace injured left guard Aaron Banks. Like Tom, he was sidelined in Week 2, re-injured himself in the next game, and has yet to practice this week.

Tom has been durable in his career, appearing in 40 straight game since cracking the starting lineup as a rookie until his Week 2 absence. The Packers will be hoping that he can return to the field quickly and play the rest of the season without issue.

Lions To Decrease CB Terrion Arnold’s Role

The Lions are planning to decrease Terrion Arnold‘s role with the second-year cornerback struggling to contain opposing receivers to start the year.

Defensive coordinator Kelvin Sheppard said on Thursday (via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press) that veteran Amik Robertson would take on a higher snap share at outside cornerback with Arnold seeing a commensurate decrease in his workload.

Robertson primarily aligned as a nickel corner in 2024 and led the team in slot snaps, per Pro Football Focus (subscription required). The Lions’ heavy use of base personnel on defense has limited Robertson’s role this year, per Birkett, and the team wants to get him on the field for more plays.

Sheppard said that the cornerback change “has nothing to do with [Arnold’s] play or performance,” but it’s hard to deny that the 2024 first-rounder has taken a step back from his rookie year. In 2024, he allowed a 55.6% completion rate and 7.3 yards per target; those numbers have jumped to 72.6% and 11.0 this year, respectively. He also leads all NFL cornerbacks in yards allowed, per PFF.

The 2025 offseason saw Carlton Davis depart on the open market. D.J. Reed was brought in as a replacement, and the eighth-year veteran inked a similar contract (three years, $48MM) to the one Davis took in New England. Reed has operated as a full-time perimeter starter so far with Detroit; that can certainly be expected to continue moving forward. 2024 second-rounder Ennis Rakestrawmeanwhile, is out for the season after undergoing shoulder surgery in August.

Arnold’s rookie contract runs through 2027. The 22-year-old’s tenure in the Motor City could continue beyond that point with his fifth-year option being picked up and/or a long-term extension being finalized. Neither of those can take place until after the 2026 season, so the Lions have plenty of time before needing to make a decision on Arnold’s future with the team. For now, it will be interesting to see how this change in workload will affect Detroit’s secondary.

Adam La Rose contributed to this post.

John Lynch: 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk ‘Not Close’ To Return

49ers general manager John Lynch said that wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk is “not close” to returning to the field from last year’s devastating knee injury.

“There’s no absolutes on these things,” said Lynch on Wednesday (via KNBR). “He’s gotta continue to hit markers. He’s tracking well, we’ll be a better team when Brandon’s out there.”

Aiyuk tore his ACL and MCL in Week 7 last year, setting him up for a lengthy recovery process that will extend well into this season. In August, Lynch said that there was no timetable for Aiyuk’s return, while head coach Kyle Shanahan suggested that the veteran wideout could return around Week 6.

Aiyuk started the season on the physically unable to perform list, making him ineligible to practice until next week. He would then have three weeks to be activated to the 53-man roster or revert to season-ending injured reserve, a situation the 49ers will want to avoid. Lynch’s comments further indicate that Aiyuk won’t be back anytime soon, though the veteran receiver was seen working out during a practice last week, per CBS Sports’ Matt Lively.

As a result, San Francisco will continue to work with a thin receiving corps until Aiyuk’s return, as the team has dealt with injuries to Jauan Jennings (ankle, shoulder) and Ricky Pearsall (knee) this year as well. Rookie Jordan Watkins is dealing with a calf injury, but has avoided injured reserve for the time being despite some early prognostications of an extended absence. All three wideouts were absent on Wednesday, though Pearsall said (via KNBR) that he would play “if there was a game today.” Jennings missed every practice last week and didn’t play on Sunday, though the 49ers will certainly be hoping he’s ready to go for Week 4.

Pearsall has impressed amid his teammates’ absences this year, racking up 281 yards in 16 catches through three games. Jennings has 105 yards in his two starts, while Kendrick Bourne has added 70 yards in the last two games. If their WR health issues continue, the 49ers will need Skyy Moore and Marquez Valdes-Scantling to step up for their next few games.

Jets QB Justin Fields Returns To Practice

Jets quarterback Justin Fields returned to practice on Thursday, per Brian Costello of the New York Post, but he is still in concussion protocol with four days to go until the team’s Week 4 matchup with the Dolphins.

Fields was knocked out of the game in Week 2 and missed Sunday’s loss to the Buccaneers. Backup Tyrod Taylor started in his stead and completed 26 of his 36 passes (72.6%), but only managed 5.5 yards per attempt. He also threw an interception that was returned by Jamel Dean for a touchdown. Jets head coach Aaron Glenn confirmed on Monday that Fields would remain the team’s starter once he cleared concussion protocol.

Fields impressed in his first start of the year, leading the Jets to 30 points against the Steelers, but went 3-for-11 in Week 2 before suffering his concussion in Week 2. A return to the field would be a boost to a New York offense that has been surprisingly effective to start the year with at least 27 points in two of their three games.

This weekend’s trip to Miami offers a major opportunity for Fields to bounce back from his Week 2 struggles. The Dolphins have allowed the most points and the second-most yards per passing attempt so far this year.

If Fields is unable to play, Taylor will start for the second week in a row with rookie Brady Cook likely receiving another practice squad elevation to serve as the backup.

Jarvis Brownlee, Titans Teammates Shocked By Trade

Early-season trades are always somewhat of a surprise in the NFL, but the Titans’ decision to trade Jarvis Brownlee to the Jets was shocking to the second-year cornerback and his teammates in Tennessee.

Titans linebacker James Williams said (via Terry McCormick of Main Street Media) that he was with Brownlee when he learned of the trade, adding that both were taken aback by the unexpected news. Veteran cornerback L’Jarius Sneed called the move “unfortunate,” but admitted, “It’s the NFL and things happen.”

Williams said that he didn’t know why the Titans made their decision, though McCormick offered his own explanation.

“The Titans had seemingly become disenchanted with Brownlee’s approach and fit in the locker room as the team tries to build a culture around a certain type of desired character that Brownlee in their estimation must have fallen short of,” wrote McCormick.

Titans head coach Brian Callahan said that there were “short-term” and “long-term” reasons behind the move, though he declined to elucidate further. He did say that the trade was a “one-off situation,” per McCormick, though Tennessee’s 0-3 start may loosen the team’s grip on some of their players as they near the trade deadline.

Brownlee noted (h/t ESPN’s Rich Cimini) he felt surprised and “hurt” by the trade, but his new team seems ecstatic to have him. Jets head coach Aaron Glenn (via Brian Costello of the New York Post) said that the deal was a “no-brainer” and revealed that he liked Brownlee as a prospect in the 2024 draft.