Bills coach Rex Ryan says that he “absolutely” envisions impending free agent Jerry Hughes returning to the team next season, writes Ross Jones of FOX Sports. However, the defensive end has said that he’s not interested in taking a hometown discount to stay. While we wait to see how that plays out, here’s more from the East divisions..
- A person familiar with the Eagles‘ offseason plans says the team “is going to try” to move up in the NFL Draft to select Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Mark Eckel of The Times Of Trenton writes. It won’t be easy, of course, but the Eagles will at least explore going from No. 20 to No. 1 to get the Ducks star.
- Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News (on Twitter) is skeptical that anyone is privy to Chip Kelly‘s draft plans. He also feels it’s a no-brainer that the Eagles will at least look into Mariota, but it’s far too early for them to start making calls.
- One team contract negotiator who spoke to Joel Corry of CBSSports.com today indicated that he expects Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to “open his checkbook” and put a 2012 running back market price on DeMarco Murray (Twitter link). The running back position, of course, was valued more highly three years ago than it is now.
- Michigan State safety Kurtis Drummond has already met with the Eagles and made plans to chat more on Tuesday night, according to Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com (on Twitter).
- Utah defensive back Eric Rowe apparently has the interest of the Eagles as he has a meeting scheduled with Kelly and Bill Davis, according to Jimmy Kempski of PhillyVoice.com (on Twitter).
- Ryan told reporters, including John Kryk of the Toronto Sun (on Twitter) that he expects to have the Bills‘ coaching staff complete by the end of the week.
- The Jets spent a significant amount of time with Miami wide receiver Phillip Dorsett after his weigh ins, according to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net (on Twitter).
- University of Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman told James Walker of ESPN.com (on Twitter) that he met with the Dolphins at the Senior Bowl.
Luke Adams contributed to this post.