4:42pm: The Dolphins have whittled their roster down to 53 players, but the most important news to come out of Miami is that center Mike Pouncey, who is dealing with a hip injury, will be placed on the active roster rather than on the PUP or IR designated to return list. Pouncey will probably still miss some time, but he’ll be eligible to play as soon as he is healthy. The following players have been waived per a press release:
12:38pm: Following the Dolphins signing of Knowshon Moreno, it didn’t look particularly good for running back Daniel Thomas. Once it was clear that Moreno and Lamar Miller were the top backs on the roster, it looked even worse for the 26-year-old.
Well, as Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post reports (via Twitter), the Dolphins have cut ties with Thomas. It wasn’t that long ago that he compiled 165 carries as a rookie, so there’s a chance a team may take a flyer on him.
The Dolphins also let go of 13 other players. The complete list is below:
- Kevin Fogg (CB) (via Adam Beasley on Twitter)
- Daniel Thomas (RB)
- Marcus Thigpen (WR) (via Andrew Abramson on Twitter)
- David Arkin (OL) (via Barry Jackson on Twitter)
- Matt Hazel (WR) (via Barry Jackson on Twitter)
- Kevin Cone (WR) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Andrew Wilson (LB) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Seth Lobato (QB) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Jordan Kovacs (S) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Tevin Mims (DE) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Garrison Smith (DT) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Sam Brenner (OL) (via Aaron Wilson on Twitter)
- Evan Finkenberg (OL) (via Jackson on Twitter)
- Tony Hills (OL) (via Jackson on Twitter)
The Dolphins have also informed defensive tackle Kemal Johnson that he will be placed on injured reserve (via Jackson’s Twitter).