NFL Suspends Antonio Brown, Mike Edwards

Not long after a report surfaced indicating Antonio Brown acquired a fake COVID-19 vaccination card, the NFL is suspending the All-Pro talent. The league handed Brown a three-game suspension, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets.

The NFL also suspended Bucs safety Mike Edwards for COVID-19 protocol violations, per Rapoport. Brown denied using a fake vaccination card, but the NFL determined he did, in fact, do so. Neither player is appealing; both will be out until at least Week 16. The league did not fine the Buccaneers.

This further mars Brown’s first full Bucs season. Tampa Bay gave the All-Decade wideout an opportunity after a turbulent 2019 and an eight-game 2020 suspension, with Tom Brady leading the charge to bring the mercurial superstar into the fold. While Brown has been productive on the field, he has run into myriad issues that have kept him out of games this season. He missed a game while on the COVID-19 list, has missed several due to a troublesome ankle injury and will now be down until late December because of his second NFL ban in just more than a year.

When Brown landed on the COVID list in September, he was treated as a vaccinated player, returning after eight days. Unvaccinated players who test positive must quarantine for a minimum of 10 days. The wideout’s lawyer nevertheless released a statement Thursday indicating his client is vaccinated (via Rapoport, on Twitter). Making a fake vaccination card or using one is a felony. Brown’s 2020 suspension stemmed partially from felony burglary conveyance and misdemeanor battery charges.

Brown’s ban also surfaced after Bucs HC Bruce Arians said the team did its due diligence regarding Brown’s vaccination status, via ESPN.com’s Jenna Laine. Arians called the matter a non-story last month, and a Bucs statement read a team investigation did not reveal any irregularities (Twitter link). Arians said in early September the Bucs were a fully vaccinated team, but the November report contradicted that status. Given Arians’ initial hesitancy regarding a reunion with Brown last year, this is obviously not a good look for the 12th-year wide receiver or the team.

Brown, 33, was set to miss at least two more games because of the ankle injury he has battled for much of the season. The timing of this suspension does not stand to hurt the Bucs much, though it may affect Brown’s post-2021 future with the franchise. Brown re-signed with the Bucs on a one-year deal in May. The former Steelers dynamo was on pace for another 1,000-yard season, having caught 29 passes for 418 yards and two touchdowns in five games. But he will finish shy of that mark for a third straight year.

A former third-round Bucs pick, Edwards has worked as a backup safety for most of his career. The third-year cover man did post a rare two-pick-six game in Tampa Bay’s first meeting with Atlanta. He will miss the Bucs’ rematch with the Falcons, along with games against the Bills and Saints. Edwards has played in all 11 Bucs games this season.

The NFL also suspended free agent defensive back John Franklin III, who was with Tampa Bay this offseason. The Bucs waived him in August. Franklin also received a three-game ban.

Broncos Activate LT Garett Bolles From Reserve/COVID-19 List

After three missed games, Garett Bolles looks set to make his return in a big spot. The Broncos activated their starting left tackle off the reserve/COVID-19 list Thursday.

Bolles will replace Calvin Anderson on the Broncos’ 53-man roster; Denver placed Anderson on IR. Bolles missed last week because he contracted the coronavirus and was down in Weeks 10 and 11 because of a high ankle sprain. Vic Fangio said earlier this week he expects the fifth-year blocker to return against the Chiefs.

Given an extension barely a year ago, Bolles has not quite played on the level he did last season. He went through last year without allowing a sack. In nine games this season, the former first-round pick has allowed five. Pro Football Focus, which slotted Bolles as as the No. 3 overall tackle in 2020, rates Teddy Bridgewater‘s blindside protector 33rd this season. Still, Bolles was a steady lineup presence throughout his career leading up to this recent absence. The Utah product had missed just one game during his first four seasons.

Bolles’ return will come at a critical time for the Broncos, who finished their Week 12 game with just one starter — center Lloyd Cushenberry — available. Bolles and guard Dalton Risner, however, are expected to be back in Week 13. Right tackle Bobby Massie also worked in a limited practice Wednesday; Massie has missed the past two games.

Minor NFL Transactions: 12/2/21

Here are Thursday’s minor moves, with the list being updated throughout the day:

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

New Orleans Saints

Pittsburgh Steelers

Washington Football Team

Broncos To Place T Calvin Anderson On IR

The Broncos have played the past two weeks without their starting tackles, and they lost their top backup to injury early in a Week 12 win over the Chargers. Calvin Anderson will end up missing time, but his season is not certain to be over.

Anderson is set to land on IR, Mike Klis of 9News tweets, but the young blocker is not expected to need surgery on his knee and ankle injuries. A three- to five-week recovery timetable is in the cards here, Klis adds, putting Anderson in position to return late this season. Such a return would make sense should the Broncos still be in contention for a playoff spot around the holidays.

Tendering Anderson as an ERFA this offseason, Denver had him in place as its swing tackle behind Garett Bolles and Ja’Wuan James. While James’ Achilles tear changed Denver’s plans at right tackle, leading to Bobby Massie coming in, Anderson has remained an important cog as more injuries hit the Broncos’ offensive front during the season.

A former UDFA who played at Rice and Texas, Anderson has started the past three Broncos games and was a first-stringer in two games last season. Anderson has logged starts at both left and right tackle. Anderson and guard Dalton Risner‘s midgame exits left the Broncos with just one starter left on their O-line — center Lloyd Cushenberry — but they are positioned to be in better shape in Week 13.

The Broncos are expected to have Bolles and Risner back for their pivotal game against the Chiefs on Sunday night, Klis notes, lessening this Anderson injury blow. Bolles has missed time due to injury and a COVID-19 contraction. He remains on Denver’s reserve/COVID-19 list. It is not certain Massie (ankle) will be able to return to his right tackle post. Fellow mid-offseason pickup Cameron Fleming has started the Broncos’ past two games at right tackle.

WFT To Place CB Benjamin St-Juste On IR

Washington rookie Benjamin St-Juste has run into a somewhat concerning situation during the second half of his rookie season. Ron Rivera said the third-round pick is back in Washington’s concussion protocol, marking the third time he has landed there this year.

St-Juste will be placed on IR, per Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post (on Twitter). This will sideline the Big Ten product until at least Week 16. St-Juste also missed Week 4 due to a concussion. Washington will give the rookie more time off, cutting into its cornerback depth.

A Montreal native who played at Michigan and Minnesota, St-Juste went off the board to Washington with the No. 74 overall pick. The 6-foot-3 cornerback has seen full-time duty in a few games this year, starting from Weeks 6-8. Pro Football Focus has not been bullish on St-Juste’s performance, ranking him among the bottom 10 corners this season. Washington had used him in a special teams role over the past three weeks.

St-Juste has still played 55% of Washington’s defensive snaps this season. Though St-Juste did not start to open the season, Washington worked him in frequently before using him as a starter in Week 6. Former UDFA Danny Johnson has seen increased run alongside Kendall Fuller and William Jackson in recent weeks, however.

Seahawks Sign Adrian Peterson

Adrian Peterson has added another stop to his illustrious resume. The veteran running back is signing with the Seahawks, head coach Pete Carroll told reporters (via Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times on Twitter). Peterson will initially join the team’s practice squad before getting elevated to the active roster. The running back worked out for the Seahawks earlier today.

The Seahawks have dealt with injuries to the running backs corps all season long. The team already lost starting running back Chris Carson for the season, and Rashaad Penny is currently dealing with an injury of his own (although Carroll told reporters that the running back may be able to play this weekend and will avoid an IR stint for now (via Condotta)). Seattle’s struggling ground game has been led by Alex Collins, who has turned 101 carries into 395 yards and two touchdowns. The team is also rostering DeeJay Dallas and Travis Homer, and they have Josh Johnson stashed on the practice squad.

While Peterson has had a Hall of Fame-worthy career, it remains to be seen if he can provide more than any of Seattle’s current options at the position. The 36-year-old saw time in three games (two starts) for the Titans this year, collecting only 90 yards and one touchdown on 31 touches (good for 2.9 yards per touch). Peterson was waived by Tennessee in late November. Peterson’s last full-time action came in 2020 with the Lions when he notched 604 yards and seven rushing touchdowns.

He’ll have an opportunity to join the 15,000-yard club for running backs, and with 367 more rushing yards, he would pass Barry Sanders for fourth all-time. His NFL career followed a standout stint at Oklahoma, and Carroll told reporters that he tried to recruit the running back while he was at USC (via Condotta).

Minor NFL Transactions:  12/1/21

Today’s minor moves:

Las Vegas Raiders

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cowboys Activate Amari Cooper

It appears the Cowboys’ wide receiver room will be at full strength for Thursday’s game against the Saints. Amari Cooper has been activated from the Covid-19 list, reports Jane Slater of the NFL Network (via Twitter). 

After playing in each of the first ten games of the season, Cooper missed the last two contests – part of the mandatory ten-day isolation period for unvaccinated players. In his absence, Dallas lost to the Chiefs in Week 11 and to Cooper’s former franchise, the Raiders, on Thanksgiving. Cooper’s positive test was one of several that have since been documented throughout the Cowboys organization.

Fellow starting wideout CeeDee Lamb also missed that Thanksgiving matchup, but he is expected to play against the Saints. With Michael Gallup also back from a lengthy IR stint, the Cowboys’ passing attack has the potential to return to its explosive self.

Cooper has registered 44 catches for 583 yards and five touchdowns this season. Having lost three of their last four games, the Cowboys will look to get back on track against the struggling Saints.

Kenny Vaccaro Retires From NFL

Kenny Vaccaro is calling it a career. On Wednesday, the longtime NFL safety announced that he is stepping away from the game to focus on a new e-sports venture (Twitter link via NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport).

This isn’t a reflex decision for me; it’s something I’ve thought about for a long time,” Vaccaro said. “I’ve been a gamer for even longer than I’ve played football, and I’ve always thought of myself as a gamer first. So this is the realization of a long-term dream for me…Life doesn’t end just because you put down the helmet. You can reinvent yourself.”

Vaccaro, a 2013 first-round pick, spent his first five years with the Saints and started in 67 of his 68 regular season games. After that, he found himself in a severely depressed market for veteran safeties. But, after settling for a cheap one-year deal with the Titans in 2018, he parlayed a strong season into a four-year, $26MM extension.

The veteran made 42 for the Titans before his release earlier this year. In 2020, his last NFL campaign, he finished out with 62 stops, one sack, and five passes defensed. The advanced metrics at Pro Football Focus — which have never been especially fond of his work — gave him a 58.8 overall grade, slotting him just 68th out of 84 qualified safeties.

After 110 career games, multiple postseason trips, and over $28MM in career earnings, Vaccaro is now set to enter the e-sports arena.

NFL Practice Squad Updates: 12/1/21

Today’s taxi squad moves:

Baltimore Ravens

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

New England Patriots

Philadelphia Eagles

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Show all