The Buccaneers have begun to sign their 2019 rookie class, announcing that they’ve reached deals with the following five draft choices:
- 2-39: Sean Murphy-Bunting, CB (Central Michigan)
- 4-107: Anthony Nelson, DE (Iowa)
- 5-145: Matt Gay, K (Utah)
- 6-208: Scott Miller, WR (Bowling Green)
- 7-215: Terry Beckner Jr., DT (Missouri)
After ranking 3oth in pass defense DVOA last season, the Buccaneers needed to throw assets at the coverage game, and they did so by adding Murphy-Bunting on Day 2. The 2018 CMU Defensive Player of the Year, Bunting is a “long, lanky press corner,” according to Lance Zierlein of NFL.com, which should make him a good fit for Todd Bowles‘ aggressive scheme. Nelson might need to replace Jason Pierre-Paul‘s production after posting 9.5 sacks a year ago, while Gay should be in line to serve as the Bucs’ kicker during his rookie campaign.