AFC Mailbags: Jags, Colts, Steelers, Ravens
It’s Saturday, and that means ESPN.com’s NFL writers open up their mailbags and answer questions from readers. Here are some interesting notes out of the AFC…
- Considering the age of Jason Babin and Chris Clemons, Michael DiRocco doesn’t see much sense in the Jaguars cutting Andre Branch.
- When asked if the Colts would add a center or safety before training camp, Mike Wells answers that the team is set at those positions. The writer believes Khaled Holmes will start at center and Delano Howell “is on track” to be the starting safety.
- Derek Moye, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Justin Brown will likely be competing for the Steelers‘ fifth receiver spot, writes Scott Brown.
- Looking at potential free agents additions for the Steelers, Brown says he would “be surprised” if the team doesn’t consider signing linebacker James Harrison. He adds that the team will “keep an eye” on Jermichael Finley but won’t have much interest in Ed Reed.
- Ravens writer Jamison Hensley expects the team to stick with their young core of cornerbacks. If the team sees a need at the position, Hensley says they won’t address it until final cuts.
Jaguars Notes: Stanzi, Joeckel, Clemons
The Jaguars claimed quarterback Ricky Stanzi off waivers last season after he was released by the Kansas City Chiefs. Some stated this was a play by the Jags to pick Stanzi’s brain — Jacksonville played Kansas City Week 1, and lost, 28-2 — but the former Iowa QB is still in Northeast Florida, holding on to a roster spot.
That roster spot got less assured when the team selected Blake Bortles No. 3 overall in the 2014 NFL Draft, as Vito Stellino of The Florida Times-Union writes.
And, for three straight seasons since college, Stanzi hasn’t had an opportunity to see the field, inactive for all but four games last year.
As it stands right now, the Jags have four QBs on the roster — Stanzi, Bortles, veteran Chad Henne and Stephen Morris, an undrafted free agent rookie from Miami who projects as a developmental player.
Stellino writes that Stanzi has made a good impression on head coach Gus Bradley, who was surprised with the slinger’s arm strength.
More news and notes from “America’s Team,” as NFL.com’s Adam Schein likes to call them:
- Luke Joeckel, the former Texas A&M offensive tackle selected No. 2 overall in last year’s draft, is hoping to put the injury that sidelined him after five games last season behind him, writes Hays Carlyon of jacksonville.com. Joeckel participated in all three OTA practices and said he was pleased with how his ankle held up.
- Henne, Stanzi, wide receiver Cecil Shorts, defensive end Andre Branch and safety Jonathan Cyprien were named by Bradley as players who stood out during the team’s first week of OTAs, The Times-Union reports. Bradley said he has “98% confidence” that defensive end Chris Clemons will be on the field Monday when the team gets back on the field.
- While the biggest challenge facing the Jags in 2014 is getting Bortles ready to play, The Times-Union’s Gene Frenette says no challenge is more daunting than meshing the team’s rag-tag offensive line.
AFC Notes: Rice, Browns, Jaguars
Ray Rice tried to clear the air in a recent press conference, but that won’t stop the NFL from penalizing the Pro-Bowl running back under the league’s personal-conduct policy. The Ravens are prepared for a multiple-game suspension and Rice will meet soon with commissioner Roger Goodell, writes Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun.
Team President Dick Cass spoke on the matter: “I’m assuming he will meet with the commissioner at some point in the near future and make a decision about what discipline, if any, is appropriate. I’m not going to speculate. The commissioner is going to decide that. I’m going to leave it to the commissioner.”
Teammate Torrey Smith added: “You do something that draws attention like this, it deserves punishment. Whatever it may be, whether it’s fines or suspensions, I can’t really say. Something happens like that and, obviously, it doesn’t look good on him on him or the league or the organization. Whatever punishments they dish out, he’ll handle it and we’ll handle it as a team and we’ll accept it.”
Let’s take a look at some more notes from the AFC…
- When asked if the Browns could re-sign Armanti Edwards to be the team’s return man, ESPN.com’s Pat McManamon squashed the idea.
- Excluding Red Bryant and Tyson Alualu, ESPN.com’s Michael DiRocco says that Chris Clemons and Andre Branch are the only defensive ends that are locks to make the Jaguars roster. DiRocco believes the competition will ultimately be between Gerald Rivers and Chris Smith, unless the duo outplays Jason Babin in camp.
- DiRocco also points out that there are only seven Jaguars remaining from Gene Smith‘s four drafts.
