December 17th, 2014 at 7:57pm CST by Zachary Links
Today’s workouts, auditions, visits, pow-wows, get togethers, tryouts, and pop-ins..
- The Raiders worked out former Saints wide receiver Joe Morgan, a source tells Field Yates of ESPN.com (on Twitter).
- The Saints worked out offensive lineman Will Simmons and Andre Miller, according to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post (on Twitter).
- The Buccaneers worked out linebacker Brandon Denmark, safety M.D. Jennings, and defensive back Jocquel Skinner , Wilson tweets. The Bucs also tried out defensive end Lawrence Sidbury, who wound up being signed to the active roster, and defensive back Varmah Sonie, who has joined their taxi squad.
- Defensive end Sammy Brown visited the Buccaneers, according to Wilson (on Twitter).
- The Seahawks worked out former Memphis defensive linemen Johnnie Farms, Marcus Forston, Rufus Johnson, Zach Minter, Brandon Moore, Will Pericak, Andru Pulu, and Jared Wheeler, according to Wilson (via Twitter).
- The Cardinals tried out defensive end Shawn Lemon, wide receiver Jalil Carter, and defensive back Delvin Breaux, according to Wilson (on Twitter).
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:17am CST by Luke Adams
While most teams around the NFL have set their 53-man rosters and 10-man practice squads for the season, we shouldn’t expect those clubs to just sit on their hands going forward. Many clubs have been auditioning players this week for potential spots on the active roster or practice squad, including several teams from the NFL’s two East divisions. Via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, who passes along the latest updates in a series of tweets, here are the latest items out of the AFC and NFC East:
- The Dolphins tried out a handful of pass-catchers, including wide receivers Lamaar Thomas, L’Damian Washington, Travis Harvey, Michael Preston, and tight ends Jake Murphy, Michael Higgins, and David Paulson. The team also brought in quarterbacks Chase Rettig and Brad Sorensen.
- Maurice Hagans (RB), Evan Rodriguez (FB/TE), Derrell Johnson (LB), Josh Kaddu (LB), Allen Reisner (TE), Weslye Saunders (TE), Kion Wilson (LB), and Martez Wilson (DE/OLB) are among the players who auditioned for the Patriots. Wilson also lists Colin Underwood among the players working out for the Pats, but I would guess that’s ex-Chargers edge defender Colton Underwood.
- A few players who worked out for the Giants this week have been previously reported, but Wilson also adds several new names: Deveron Carr (CB), Emmett Cleary (T), Patrick Edwards (WR), Dominique Hamilton (DT), Chris Harper (WR), Will Simmons (OL), Rod Sweeting (DB), Trevardo Williams (LB), and Brian Wozniak (TE).
- In addition to offensive lineman Braxston Cave and linebacker Jackson Jeffcoat, who signed to the team’s practice squad, the Redskins also tried out defensive linemen Calvin Barnett, Derrick Hopkins, Quinn Pitcock, and Ryan Robinson.
- Wide receiver Teddy Williams visited the Eagles, but the team didn’t end up signing him to its practice squad, as had been previously reported, according to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer (via Twitter).
August 30th, 2014 at 2:15pm CST by Luke Adams
The Steelers have become the latest team to reduce their roster count to 53 players in advance of this afternoon’s deadline. Here are the 22 players cut from the club’s active roster today, per a press release:
- Rob Blanchflower, TE
- Chris Carter, LB
- Bryce Davis, TE
- Isaiah Green, DB
- Josh Harris, RB
- Ethan Hemer, DL
- Stephen Houston, RB
- Howard Jones, LB
- Brendon Kay, QB
- Josh Mauro, DL
- Dan Molls, LB
- Derek Moye, WR
- Dayonne Nunley, DB
- David Paulson, T
- Roy Philon, DL
- Graham Pocic, OL
- Shaquille Richardson, DB
- Lanear Sampson, WR
- Will Simmons, OL
- Ross Ventrone, DB
- Guy Whimper, OL
- Nick Williams, DL
May 12th, 2014 at 10:30am CST by Luke Adams
MONDAY, 10:30am: Carrington will now be coming to camp on a tryout rather than as a player under contract, tweets Lauten. That means the Steelers will have exactly 90 players on their roster and won’t need to make a corresponding move to clear room for their UDFAs.
SATURDAY, 8:23pm: The Steelers have agreed to sign 10 undrafted free agents, according to the team’s PR rep, Burt Lauten. In a series of tweets, Lauten listed the following UDFAs, who are set to head to Pittsburgh:
- Devon Carrington, DB, Stanford
- Chris Elkins, OL, Youngstown State
- Ethan Hemer, DE, Wisconsin
- Kaycee Ike, OT, UAB
- Howard Jones, LB, Shepherd
- Brendon Kay, QB, Cincinnati
- Josh Mauro, DE, Stanford
- Roy Philon, DT, Louisville
- Will Simmons, G, East Carolina
- Eric Waters, TE, Missouri