"Near Mutiny" Reportedly Led To Ken Zampese's Firing
A “near mutiny” among Bengals players left head coach Marvin Lewis no choice but to fire offensive coordinator Ken Zampese on Friday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports. The Bengals’ best offensive player, wide receiver A.J. Green, was part of the unhappy bunch, notes Florio, though Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer disputes the notion that there was anything resembling a “mutiny” (Twitter link). There was a disconnect between Zampese and the players, though, Owczarski adds. The Zampese-led Bengals scored a mere nine points in the team’s first two games, both losses, and the offense racked up just 516 yards in that span. Green posted respectable production along the way, picking up 10 receptions for 141 yards, but new O-coordinator Bill Lazor is going to have to involve him (and the Bengals’ other top skill players) in their attack more, Florio observes. Green agrees, having told reporters after Thursday night’s 13-9 loss to Houston: “We are playing like sh– right now. We got to find a way to get our playmakers the ball. That’s it. It’s a superstar-driven league. You are not going to win without them” (via Paul Dehner Jr. of the Enquirer).
More from the AFC:
- It appears free agent tight end Gary Barnidge‘s stay on the unemployment line will continue. Barnidge worked out for the Texans on Friday, but they’re not going to sign him, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com suggests (on Twitter). The team opted to add tight end MyCole Pruitt to its practice squad after his own Friday tryout. Barnidge carries a more impressive track record than Pruitt and many other tight ends, of course, having logged quality seasons in Cleveland over each of the previous two campaigns. However, the 31-year-old hasn’t been able to find work since the Browns released him after the draft.
- The Patriots will go without linebacker Dont’a Hightower and wide receiver Danny Amendola in New Orleans on Sunday, Mike Reiss of ESPN.com writes. Hightower suffered a right knee injury in the third quarter of Week 1 against the Chiefs, perhaps helping to pave the way for a late-game collapse from New England’s defense. The Patriots yielded 21 fourth-quarter points en route to a 42-27 loss. Amendola, who was the Patriots’ leading receiver against the Chiefs (six catches, 100 yards), is dealing with a concussion and a knee injury. Down Amendola, Julian Edelman and Malcolm Mitchell, the Pats look poised to take on the Saints with Brandin Cooks, Chris Hogan and Phillip Dorsett as their only options in a suddenly thin receiving corps.
- The Luckless Colts have settled on a quarterback for Week 2.
Bengals To Fire OC Ken Zampese
The Bengals will fire offensive coordinator Ken Zampese, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). The Bengals have not scored a touchdown in the first two games of the season and they are hoping a sideline shakeup will give them a jump start. For now, quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor will assume offensive coordinator responsibilities, the team announced.
Head coach Marvin Lewis didn’t exactly offer up support for Zampese after Thursday night’s loss to the Texans.
“We have to get better but I’m never going to come in here and tell you anything we’re going to do with one another,” Lewis said when asked about potential staff changes (via Cincinnati.com). “What we do is private to us.”
Zampese was promoted to offensive coordinator last year after Hue Jackson left for the Browns’ head coaching job. Last year, the Bengals finished 13th in total offense under his guidance, but 24th in scoring. His offense left the red zone without a touchdown on nearly half of its red zone tries in 2016 and this year has been even worse. The Bengals are 0-for-6 for TDs in the red zone thus far and that’s a big reason for their 0-2 start.
On paper, the Bengals were poised to have one of the better offenses in the NFL with a competent QB in Andy Dalton, a megastar receiver in A.J. Green, a quality tight end in Tyler Eifert, and an intriguing mix of backfield weapons including Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, and rookie Joe Mixon. The Bengals hope that another OC will be able to get the most out of what they have.
If the former Dolphins OC can’t get the offense going, then Zampese might not be the only coach bounced in Cincinnati this season. After 15 years at the helm, this just might be Marvin Lewis‘ last stand.
Minor NFL Transactions: 9/12/17
Today’s minor roster moves:
Arizona Cardinals
- Cut: T Ulrick John
Chicago Bears
- Signed: WR Tanner Gentry
- Released from IR: WR Rueben Randle
Cincinnati Bengals
- Cut: DT Christian Ringo
Green Bay Packers
- Cut: CB LaDarius Gunter
Los Angeles Rams
- Signed: OT Cornelius Lucas
- Cut: DL Quinton Jefferson, C/G J.J Dielman
New Orleans Saints
- Signed: OT Bryce Harris
- Cut: LB Adam Bighill
Pittsburgh Steelers
- Signed: ILB Steven Johnson
- Cut: LB L.J. Fort
Eagles To Sign K Jake Elliott Off Bengals’ Practice Squad
Caleb Sturgis‘ injury looks to have prompted the Eagles to pry a kicker off another team’s practice squad, and they’ll be adding one of this past draft’s top kicking prospects.
The Eagles intend to sign rookie Jake Elliott off the Bengals’ taxi squad, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. Sturgis’ quad strain will send him to IR, with a potential designation to return, per Rapoport.
The Bengals opted to go with Randy Bullock as their primary kicker but attempted to stash Elliott, a fifth-round pick out of Memphis, on their practice squad. But the Eagles’ injury need will relocate the kicking prospect. Three kickers went in this past draft, and the other two — Zane Gonzalez and Harrison Butker — were seventh-round selections.
So, Philly will have an interesting specialist filling in for Sturgis — also a former fifth-round pick — who has kicked with the team for the past two seasons.
Elliott broke Stephen Gostkowski‘s Memphis records for points scored and field goals made in a career and was a Lou Groza award finalist in 2015.
No Deal For Bengals, Tyler Eifert
Although the league does not impose a deadline for non-franchised-tagged players to sign a multiyear extension with their club, the Bengals impose a “soft” deadline to get such extensions done. That deadline is the day before the regular season opens, and as Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes, it has come and gone without a new deal for the Bengals and tight end Tyler Eifert, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency next year.
We heard back in July that the extension cases for Eifert and LB Vontaze Burfict were difficult to analyze, for a number of reasons. However, the club was able to reach a three-year deal with Burfict several days ago, despite that fact that he will be suspended for the first three games of the 2017 season.
Eifert, when healthy, is one of the best tight ends in the game, and he just turned 27 two days ago. Under the fifth-year player option, Eifert will earn $4.782MM in 2017, and per Owczarski, Cincinnati is not opposed to using the franchise tag on him next season if he produces the way he did in 2015, when he hauled in 52 catches for 615 yards and a whopping 13 touchdowns en route to his first Pro Bowl selection. The tag number for tight ends next season is projected to be right around $10MM, which sounds fairly reasonable for a player of Eifert’s caliber.
That would make Eifert close to the highest-paid tight end in the game in terms of average annual value. Seattle’s Jimmy Graham currently leads all tight ends in AAV, as he earns $10MM per season, though two of Eifert’s 2011 draft classmates, Kansas City’s Travis Kelce and Washington’s Jordan Reed, are not far behind, and both of them top Graham in terms of total contract value. Considering Reed’s injury history, Eifert could certainly point to Reed’s deal (five years, $46.75MM with $14MM guaranteed) as a reasonable benchmark for his own contract.
Eifert’s injury history could complicate matters, although both sides want to get a deal done. If Eifert can stay on the field for all of 2017, there is a good chance that the two sides can agree to a long-term deal next offseason.
Vontaze Burfict Extension Details
- While Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict‘s extension was announced as a three-year, $38.68MM deal, the specifics of the pact aren’t as impressive, as Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. The only fully guaranteed portion of the contract is Burfict’s $3.3MM signing bonus, while $2.25MM annually is tied to gameday active roster bonuses, an especially hefty total given Burfict’s injury history. And while Burfict’s 2017 base salary will now increase from $3.95MM to $7.936MM, Burfict’s impending three-game suspension will ensure that he loses $1.4MM of that new total.
Bengals Sign Vontaze Burfict To Extension
This developed fast. The Bengals and Vontaze Burfict agreed to a three-year extension worth $38.68MM, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.
Word of an extension for the polarizing linebacker surfaced this afternoon, and it looks like the longtime Bengals second-level standout will be staying in Cincinnati for a while.
This deal will make Burfict the highest-paid 4-3 outside linebacker in the game on a per-year basis. It tops Jamie Collins‘ Browns pact, which is worth $12.5MM per year. The 26-year-old Burfict’s deal will be for $12.89MM AAV.
And despite Burfict set to serve a three-game suspension to start another season, he will see an additional $7MM in 2017, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports (on Twitter). A $3.3MM signing bonus will come Burfict’s way as well, per Rapoport.
A starter since coming into the league in 2012 as a UDFA, Burfict has been a key part of Cincinnati’s defense and run of playoff appearances. Burfict, who rated as Pro Football Focus’ No. 6 linebacker last season, has started 58 games — of a possible 80 — in his career. But he will be under Bengals control for the remainder of the decade. Burfict was set to be a UFA after this season, so this re-up will tie him to Cincinnati through the 2020 campaign.
The former Arizona State linebacker has obviously brought a swarm of negative attention to the franchise, and he won’t begin his sixth NFL season until October after being suspended for a preseason hit, but it’s clear now the Bengals continue to view him as a cornerstone talent.
Only three 4-3 outside ‘backers even earn eight figures annually, so the Bengals are paying a premium for a player who continually tests the NFL’s boundaries on in-game violence. Burfict will miss the first three games of a season for the second straight year. Nevertheless, he becomes only the sixth non-rush linebacker to enter the $10MM-per-year club. A one-time Pro Bowler, Burfict will also earn more than three-time first-team All-Pro Luke Kuechly annually.
Bengals, Vontaze Burfict Discussing Extension
The Bengals and linebacker Vontaze Burfict are discussing an extension, ESPN.com’s Josina Anderson hears (on Twitter). Burfict is currently scheduled to reach free agency after the 2017 season. 
Burfict’s talent is undeniable but his playing style has long been a source of controversy. His latest questionable tackle on Anthony Sherman in the preseason will have him shelved for the first three games of the 2017 season, down from an initial five-game ban. Burfict has only played in 58 of a possible 80 regular-season contests in his five-year career due to suspension and injury.
Burfict was Pro Football Focus’ No. 6 ranked linebacker in 2017, putting him behind only Jerrell Freeman, Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Paul Posluszny, and Sean Lee. In his suspension-shortened season, Burfict’s had 101 tackles and two sacks across eleven games.
The linebacker will celebrate his 27th birthday on Sept. 24, so the Bengals could be looking to control him for at least four extra years. Burfict would be sacrificing prime seasons in such an extension, but he also wouldn’t have to worry about what could be a tepid market for his services. One has to imagine that at least a few teams will shy away from Burfict given his track record.
The Bengals will be without Burfict when they take on the Ravens, Texans, and Packers in the first few weeks of the season.
Minor NFL Transactions: 9/6/17
Today’s minor moves:
Cincinnati Bengals
- Claimed Off Waivers: DT Christian Ringo
Houston Texans
- Cut: CB Dee Virgin
New Orleans Saints
- Cut: OT Bryce Harris
New York Jets
- Cut: WR Damore’ea Stringfellow
Bengals WR John Ross Suffers Knee Sprain
Bengals first-round pick John Ross suffered a knee sprain in Cincinnati’s final preseason game. The sprain is expected to keep him out of the season opener and likely for the team’s short turnaround in Week 2, a source tells Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). He could potentially return for Week 3. 
Cincinnati starts the 2017 campaign at home against the division-rival Ravens, and then faces the Texans just four days later. That quick turnaround could hypothetically force Ross to miss multiple games, especially if he suffers a setback of some sort. After the Bengals’ Thursday night game versus Houston, the club doesn’t play for 10 more days, so September 24 at Green Bay should represent a worst-case return date for Ross.
Ross, the ninth overall selection in this year’s draft, will add an element of speed to Cincinnati’s offense when healthy, but the Bengals have the wide receiver depth to withstand a short absence from their first-year wideout. A.J. Green, clearly, is one of the best receivers in the league, and Cincinnati also boasts secondary options such as Brandon LaFell, Tyler Boyd, Cody Core, and fourth-round rookie Josh Malone.

